VMware Horizon Community
gicu201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Real-Time Audio-Video (RTAV)

Hi

Anyone have experience using audio video with local webcam over an application on VMWARE server. For example using skype type software which is installed on a server from local laptop with local webcam and microphone. ?

If so how good is the quality ? and how important is bandwidth of the connection.?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi there,

out of the box, the resolution runs at 320x240 @ 15fps, with audio. This requires around 300kbps upstream to the guest vm. This is in addition to the normal PCoIP bandwidth.

We have been using it here with great success and it works really well with skype. We tested with latent/lossy networks too, and it performs well, but obviously the better the network and the lower the latency then the better the experience.

I certainly would be interested to hear other people's feedback on how they have found it, but from the feedback I have had so far then people have used it with great success.

Note that skype sometimes (even on a physical machine) can hog the cpu, and we found that really for skype to be "happy" it needs 2x vCPU. I don't know if more recent versions of skype have improved in this regard, but the recomendation is for the vm's to have 2xvcpu.

There is more information in my blog bosts here:

and here

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos