VMware Horizon Community
dbrinkmann99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Installing VMware View client on Ubuntu 11.10

followed the above steps on a clean install of Ubuntu 11.10 and received this error message.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

vmware-view-client:i386: Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4) but 2.2.0-0ubuntu1 is to be installed

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6~) but 2.13-20ubuntu5 is to be installed

Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1) but 1:4.6.1-9ubuntu3 is to be installed

Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but 2.24.0-1ubuntu1 is to be installed

Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but 2.30.0-0ubuntu4 is to be installed

Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.18.0) but 2.24.6-0ubuntu5 is to be installed

Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0) but 1.29.3+git20110916-0ubuntu1 is to be installed

Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1) but 4.6.1-9ubuntu3 is to be installed

Depends: libxi6 (>= 2:1.1.2) but 2:1.4.3-3ubuntu1 is to be installed

Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.6.27) but 2.7.8.dfsg-4 is to be installed

Depends: libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0) but 2:1.3.2-2 is to be installed

Depends: zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4) but 1:1.2.3.4.dfsg-3ubuntu3 is to be installed

Dan Brinkmann
0 Kudos
17 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'll try to reproduce it.

Did you make sure to update to the latest packages via Update Manager?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I just did a clean install of 11.10 (via ubuntu-11.10-dvd-i386.iso). I did not run update manager.

I started Ubuntu Software Center, when into Edit->Software Sources. Then selected "Canonical Partners" under the "Other Software" tab.

To find the VMware View client, I had to select "Canonical Partners" under "All Software". The View client is the "Deliver rich, personalized virtual desktops with VMware View 5" product. Yes, this needs to be fixed.

Click on that, then click on the "Install" button.

This installed without any messages.

0 Kudos
brazzetd
Contributor
Contributor

We're having the same issue here.  We have one of our Linux guys looking into it.

0 Kudos
grunyon
Contributor
Contributor

On 64 bit 11.10 Ubuntu I too am getting the failures with the dependencies. I think these dependency problems exist because this appears to be a 32-bit only version and won't work on 64-bit Ubuntu systems.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

grunyon,

Good point. Yes, this version of the VMware View client is built for 32-bits.

Is the general tendency for Ubuntu users to install the 64-bit version of Ubuntu? We thought that there might be a preference for 32-bits because of better device driver support.

Your feedback is appreciated to help us refine the solution for Ubuntu.

Thanks!

Ben

Product Manager, Thin Clients

0 Kudos
grunyon
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to successfully install it into a 32-bit chroot on my system and it installed fine, so it's a problem with 64-bit ubuntu at this point that has issues with the dependencies.

0 Kudos
grunyon
Contributor
Contributor

Almost everyone I know running Ubuntu is using 64-bit systems.

0 Kudos
vlaxa
Contributor
Contributor

And what about another Linux distributions? Are you going to support them? For example openSUSE, SLED?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

About 64bit support, I think its absolutly needed. Many people run 64bit linux boxes.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
auhank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On 64-bit Debian, 32-bit library support is provided in ia-32-libs and ia-32-libs-gtk.  64-vs-32 is not as smooth as on Solaris, but the view client works with Debian stable ("squeeze") with the usual gymnastics.  Set GTK_PATH to point to the 32-bit libs (e.g., /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0).  There is a longstanding bug in 32-bit support involving libgio in that it looks for modules under /usr/lib/ rather than /usr/lib32/.  A hack to work around the problem is to edit /usr/lib32/libgio, changing /usr/lib to /usr/l32, where l32 is a link to lib32.  This hack is not required for testing the client.

0 Kudos
DavidJGrant
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also running Ubuntu 64-bit (and have been for many years) and I'm also getting the same issue. I would guess that the majority of Linux desktops out there right now run 64-bit Linux.

0 Kudos
gelaslean
Contributor
Contributor

Hi to all.

Is there any plan to produce an official rpm package for OpenSuSE 12.1?

I successfully installed (by alien converter) vmware-view-client_1.3.0-0ubuntu1+oneiric2_i386.deb from Ubuntu repository, but I have 2 problems:

1. USB redirection is not working, vmware-view is complaining about "Spawn of vmware-view-usb failed: Failed to execute child process "vmware-view-usb" (there is no vmware-view-usb files in the package) after connecting to my Virtual Desktop
  2. Launching vmware-view from a normal user, I can't get the mouse focus on the Virtual Desktop window, launching from root user it works correctly.

Thanks.

Leandro Gelasi

0 Kudos
gelaslean
Contributor
Contributor

About point 2 I succeded in running Vmware View Client under OpenSuSE 12.1 and KDE 4.7.2 as normal user.

The problem is some sort of incompatibility with GTK libraries. I noticed that launching vmware-view under IceWM all works correctly and logs have no reference to GTK libraries.

I created a Bash script that unset all GTK/GTK2 related environment variables and then launch vmware-view.bin.

#!/bin/bash
# Working on OpenSuSE 12.1
unset GTK_RC_FILES
unset GTK2_RC_FILES
unset GTK_IM_MODULE
export DESKTOP_NAME="Your virtual desktop name"
export USERNAME="your_username"
/usr/bin/vmware-view.bin -q -u $USERNAME -n "$DESKTOP_NAME"

As far as concerns USB redirect, if you need it, simply copy vmware-view-usb executable under /usr/bin and launch the script as root.

Of course I don't consider security problem and don't recommend running executables or scripts as root.

Under KDE you can use kdesu (or gtksudo on Gnome/Ubuntu Unity) to mitigate the security problem.

LG

0 Kudos
runitsaaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where do you find the vmware-view-usb executable?

0 Kudos
gelaslean
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think it's correct to say where I find the executable, at least on this forum.

VMWare has good reasons in not including it in the package.

Find it is easy, Google is your friend and the info is on the first results page.

Other forums explain the procedure deeply.

LG

0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Could you please some one tell me the dependencies library file need to install View Clien in Ubuntu 11.10?
I have tried to install View client in 64 bit Ubuntu 11.10 but fail. Need help.
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers 
0 Kudos
ppmotskula
Contributor
Contributor

I made a script that creates a 32-bit chroot environment under 64-bit Oneiric, installs vmware-view-client into chroot, and integrates it into the Unity launcher on the 64-bit host OS. Grab the script here: https://gist.github.com/1674646

0 Kudos