VMware Horizon Community
nary4484
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Random screen flicker with Win 10 LTSC 2019. Anyone else using the version experiencing the issue?

I love using LTSB for the majority of my Horizon environment and would like to start using LTSC.  Problem I'm having is the screen will randomly flicker upon startup.  Will happen on the parent image and in a Horizon session.  Can see the desktop but the screen flickers nonstop and can't click anything.  A restart resolves 90% of the time but I don't want to use it in production. 

VMware Support has told me its a known issue and the workaround is to use a different version of Windows 10.  Kind of a bummer being a big fan of these long term servicing editions of Win10 and just wondering if anyone else is using LTSC and not having this issue?  Or if anyone has found a work around?  Currently on vSphere 6.7u3 and Horizon 7.8 with VMware Tools 10.3.10.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Its alot of work, but I keep using the SAC verions. It comes down to microsofts own stance

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC | Microsoft Docs

"The Long Term Servicing Channel is not intended for deployment on most or all the PCs in an organization. The LTSC edition of Windows 10 provides customers with access to a deployment option for their special-purpose devices and environments. These devices typically perform a single important task and don’t need feature updates as frequently as other devices in the organization. These devices are also typically not heavily dependent on support from external apps and tools. Since the feature set for LTSC does not change for the lifetime of the release, over time there might be some external tools that do not continue to provide legacy support. See LTSC: What is it, and when it should be used."

0 Kudos
dolzhenkom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have to agree with the advice not to use LTSC. What seals the deal in our environment is that Microsoft does not support using LTSC with Office 365. Otherwise, I'd be happy to switch to it. The reality is that we need a true, enterprise-grade OS that is efficient on resources and doesn't require 4 vCPUs and 8GB RAM just to run Microsoft Teams in a supported manner... but with each Windows 10 release decreasing density and increasing headaches, it's not looking likely. /endrant

0 Kudos