VMware Horizon Community
scnguye2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RGS Protocol integration with View Agent and Client

I want to a question regarding the HP RGS protocol. Last week I attended VMWare Partner Exchange 2009 in Orlando, FL, and was given a demonstration of what I believe was the option to select either MS RDP or RGS within the View Client. I forgot to ask what version of the View Client the instructor was using, and if it was even available for download right now.

So I would like some clarification. Does the current version of both the View Agent and Client have integrated support for the RGS Protocol?

VMware-viewagent-3.0.1-142034.exe

VMware-viewclient-3.0.1-142034.exe

Because I believe without integrating with the View Agent and Client, there is no point in using the View Connection Manager "Entitlement" function, because one can just load the RGS Receiver client on any PC and connect to a virtual desktop with the RGS Sender installed.

Any feedback is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I want to a question regarding the HP RGS protocol. Last week I attended VMWare Partner Exchange 2009 in Orlando, FL, and was given a demonstration of what I believe was the option to select either MS RDP or RGS within the View Client. I forgot to ask what version of the View Client the instructor was using, and if it was even available for download right now.

So I would like some clarification. Does the current version of both the View Agent and Client have integrated support for the RGS Protocol?

No, RGS support is not in 3.0.1. This feature is in an upcoming release (which is in the Release Candidate phase right now).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, RGS support is not in 3.0.1. This feature is in an upcoming release (which is in the Release Candidate phase right now).

0 Kudos
Leostream
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you want to use HP RGS to connect to virtual machines hosted in a VMware environment, and also have the flexibility that comes from Connection Broker "entitlements", take a look at Leostream. The Leostream Connect client for the Leostream Connection Broker currently supports RDP, RGS, and a number of other remote viewer protocols.

You still need to install the RGS Sender/Receiver components on your desktops/clients to use HP RGS. Then, using Leostream policies, you can allow end users to connect to virtual machines using either RDP or RGS, based on what type of protocol the desktop/client supports.

Good luck with your deployment,

Karen

Leostream Connection Broker for VMware, Citrix XenServer, Citrix XenApp, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Blades. Leostream provides access control and management of virtual desktops, physical desktops, applications, and Terminal Server sessions hosted on virtual, physical, or blade servers. Independent, flexible, scalable Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) integration.
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

they would have been utilising View 3.1 it is in RC at the moment

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
chrislm2600
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

is there anyway to download this RC in beta? or something ASAP. the thin clients have already been purchased and the san provisioned.

Basically, this is going to be the deal breaker for our View deployment. HP thinclients without RGS suck

just how I see it.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately not, I would push your TAM or VMware Sales rep to see if you can get on the Beta, that said hopefully the Beta will move from Private to Public soon

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos