VMware Horizon Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

REcompute virtual disk digest storm in vcenter

I am getting a constant blast of tasks in vcenter for Recomputer virtual disk digest.

I looked into this kb

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=209518...

but I did not find the error in my view composer logs.

Also connecting to my ADAM database and running the query did not find any thing

any idea what this is?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
roneng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here,

i would like to know how to stop it,

That kb did not help me.

My guess here, is that i dont shut down the vm frequent enough.

0 Kudos
vincehome
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. The KB does not help me. I did not find anything from composer log and the SQL query found nothing.

I even destroy all the pools and farms. Completely removed all VMs from the view connection server. Then uninstall Vmware Horizon View Connection Server from control panel. However vCenter still have non-stop recompute tasks come up every minute.

Can anyone help please?

PS: I have also rebooted all esxi hosts in the cluster and reboot vCenter but didn't fix the issue.

0 Kudos
jroberds
Contributor
Contributor

I am also seeing this issue since updating from Horizon 5.3 to 6.1.  I have also looked for the indicators in composer logs mentioned in the KB, not finding the errors.  Users do not seem to be impacted by this so far.  I presume it is a different underlying issue that has yet to be addressed by VMware?

Please note here if anyone has resolved this or further information regarding.

0 Kudos
sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you configured the desktop pools option advanced storage blackout times to not run on working days and hours ?

0 Kudos
MarkCox17
Contributor
Contributor

I also had a "Recompute storm" that was going on for days! (only really noticed it because the vcenter database was running out of space).

Couldn't find the error mentioned in the KB, nor anything else that was really useful.

ESXI/vSphere 5.5; Horizon View 5.3

- Noticed that when I turned off Provisioning on the vcenter server in Configuration it stopped.

- With provisioning on, I added blackout times and so was able to narrow it down to a specific pool

- Pool contained full VM clones (Windows 10); Thankfully almost all were for testing so I was able to delete all but 3; One I couldn't touch cause it was in use, 2 were "Rather keep them unless absolutely necessary)

- Turned off provisioning for the pool

- Shut both VMs down from vCenter

- Removed the only snapshot from one of the VMs (the other didn't have any)

- Consolidated both

- Started up machines and enabled provisioning again

There was one "Recompute digest" message but it has been quiet ever since!

Unfortunately I don't know which of the two was the cause or what the root of it was

0 Kudos