VMware Horizon Community
RECKMAN
Contributor
Contributor

RDP outperforming PcoIP and Blast

Greetings Community.

My company is operating on Horizon 7.10 and the performance visually has always been poor.  Choppy videos, delayed window dragging, etc..

This is even with enabled NVIDIA GRID GPUs.

Recently I discovered that using RDP through the Horizon Client offers a much better performance and responsiveness with videos and graphical windows elements.

Something must be configured incorrectly in our infrastructure is what I am guessing.

Where should I begin investigating?  (Best practices with professional services were supposedly followed during initial setup which was before my time).

6 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. RDP is working fine but not pcoip/blast because you might have not optimized these two protocols for this purpose.Increase video memory to 128MB on master image and recompose/push.

You can combine GPU with PCoIP and blast settings to adjust video performance, frame rate (frames per second), image quality level, based on your available network bandwidth. You can also set a pcoip bandwidth floor to make sure this much amount of bandwidth is always reserved for your desktop session.

PCoIP settings:

PCoIP Bandwidth Settings

PCoIP General Settings

474075_474075.pngpastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_2.png

Blast settings:

VMware Blast Policy Settings

474074_474074.pngpastedImage_1.png

Jons5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Shreyskar​,

just for my understanding, do you mean increasing the "Total video memory" to 128mb or the "3D Memory"?

Thanks,

Jens

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Total Video Memory.

pastedImage_0.png

Jons5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Shreyskar,

There is one more question on my mind:

Does increasing the Total Video Memory still serve any purpose or help the performance if you are already using NVIDIA Grid cards?

Like do we get the best performance if we only use one way or the other or maybe a combination of both?

Best regards,

Jens

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Use a combination of both to get the best graphics performance on VDIs.

chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please check out this recently updated guide:  VMware Blast Extreme Optimization Guide | VMware

Chris Halstead
Senior Staff Architect, EUC Technical Marketing
chalstead@vmware.com
Twitter: @chrisdhalstead