VMware Horizon Community
Joxster
Contributor
Contributor

RDP Multi Screen Problem

Wonder if someone can help.  I have a Virtual Desktop that displays fine over multi monitors on one PC but on another it will not Span and acts like it puts the display in the middle of both monitors with a black border around the edge.  I even tried SplitView and this will not take advantage and fill both Screens on this one PC but on the first PC they span both screen perfectly fine over RDP...

Can anyone shed any light on this?  I'm using Vmware View 4....

Any help most welcome

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JCL225
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the combined resolution of the two monitors is greater than the max resolution set in the Pool settings for that machine, then you will always get those black bars on the side as that is as large as the desktop can stretch.

I'm willing to bet the machine that is working has a much lower resoution for both monitors than the one that is not.

Alternatively is there a particular reason why you are using RDP? PCOIP does a much better job of displaying on multiple montiors. It resizes the desktop on the fly depending on the resolutions involved. As far as I have seen it doesn't have the resolution limitation that RDP does either. Plus it doesn't treat the desktop like one big desktop but actually two separate displays. I've always preferred this option as well since I can full screen a window and it will stay on one monitor and I can work on the other without having to manually resize windows.

0 Kudos
Joxster
Contributor
Contributor

Well the combined resolution of the two monitors was not more than what is set in the pool, as even at 800 x 600 it was a like a very small window in the middle of the two monitors, at 800 x 600 it even had black space at the top and the bottom.  It's as if no matter what resolution I set the real pc to it sets it to one monitor and puts it in the middle of the two.  The closest I can set it to is 1024 x 768 and then it fills the top but leaves say an inch of black around both sides, yet the exact same model of monitors works on another PC.... It's very strange Smiley Sad

And with regards to RDP v PCoIP users find that the fonts are smoother on RDP and they dont like how PCoIP draws on the screen IE it draws a raugh image then a better one then a better one were as RDP protocol just works perfect... If there is a way to make PCoIP perform like RDP then I'd use that...

0 Kudos
JCL225
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If both PCs are identical than this is a very unusual situation.

Can you check the version of the RDP client on both PCs and the vm they're connecting to? If < 7 try updating to RDP 7 from microsoft's site. I believe both the workstation (PC you're accessing view from) and the vm have to be updated. The latest should have better display features in general.

0 Kudos
PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Joxter, If the VMWare View Optimization Guide has not addressed your user’s performance concerns, please contact the Teradici support staff (http://techsupport.teradici.com<http://techsupport.teradici.com/>) and one of our Systems Analysts will assist with your PCoIP configuration… its unusual for our customers to select RDP based on user experience!

0 Kudos
Joxster
Contributor
Contributor

Hello there Mr PCoIPinsider...

I decided to have another play with the protocol with an image and the only thing I can say is I must of had a bad .net3.5 installed as I re-installed that and I am very impressed with how it acts before I was getting very slow redraw and now its working very well indeed....

The only problem I have with it is the old Right Shift not working if I RDP to a server via the View PCoIP session, it doesn't detected when you press the right shift it does detect the left shift so not sure if you have a work around for that Smiley Happy

Again thanks for making me go have another look Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Check out this KB for information on how to correct the right shift key issue.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1018654

0 Kudos
PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Joxster, I’m pleased to hear you solved that one. You should be able to resolve the RIGHT-SHIFT issue by updating the PCOIP.adm. Check out this KB for details:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1018654

Ian

0 Kudos