VMware Horizon Community
CARDSFAN07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RDP Limitations

Hi All,

The limitations for RDP are well documented for Multimedia or graphics intensive applications.....Does anyone know what the roadmap is for the future or solutions that are coming to get past these limitations? This has and will be a hurdle for alot of my customers in moving to VDI.....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As the others have pointed out Wyse is definitely working on a solution for this, and it's currently in BETA. I really don't have much more to add there.

However, to be fair, NEC also has a solution currently available in hardware form. I wanted to bring this up, since we've all been reminded here a few times on this.

Main difference between them is this...

WYSE solution = Software based codecs that can be upgraded/updated when new codecs are released.

NEC solution = OEM Wyse device that NEC has added their own Chipset for built-in hardware based codecs.

In theory you do get better performance supposidly from Hardware based codecs, but I haven't seen the two in a side-by-side or anything. From what we have seen though, they both perform pretty well.

I don't personally know of any vendors working on a similar solution, but I'd have to think that most are looking into it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hi

the main movement here is to create channels outside of RDP, wyse and nec both have software that is installed in the vm (wyse software is now included in the vmtools) for certain protocalls i.e. mpeg, avi and flash soon the codecs are processed on the thin client improving multi media performance

davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As mentioned Wyse have included a technology called MMR in there offerings fo the S and V families. Codec support is growing for this and it does work well. The media filters are included in the latest VMTools but the thin client requriements are not in release state as yet.

Other thin clients are talking up offerings but nothing solid as yet.

sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As the others have pointed out Wyse is definitely working on a solution for this, and it's currently in BETA. I really don't have much more to add there.

However, to be fair, NEC also has a solution currently available in hardware form. I wanted to bring this up, since we've all been reminded here a few times on this.

Main difference between them is this...

WYSE solution = Software based codecs that can be upgraded/updated when new codecs are released.

NEC solution = OEM Wyse device that NEC has added their own Chipset for built-in hardware based codecs.

In theory you do get better performance supposidly from Hardware based codecs, but I haven't seen the two in a side-by-side or anything. From what we have seen though, they both perform pretty well.

I don't personally know of any vendors working on a similar solution, but I'd have to think that most are looking into it.

0 Kudos