VMware Horizon Community
cdrake135
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

RDP Bandwidth Requirements

Hello All,

Does anyone have some general RDP bandwidth sizing requirements? I am trying to determine how much WAN network bandwith is required for 10, 20, 50, 100 concurrent users. I realize that the application, (i.e. graphics activity) makes a difference. I am hoping that someone out there has done some load testing/sizing with general users, (ex. MS Office) and power users, (graphics programs) and came up with some numbers.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
8 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

56-64kbit is a commonly used value in these calculations.

With graphics intense apps I'd calculate (just to be on the safe side) with 128-256kbit.

davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

With multiple screens, high colour and all experience settings enabled and then run some video with both video and audio it can get up to 1Mb+. Better off profiling what functionlaity you need and tuining your settings down to the needs.

Latency is the mroe pressing concern then bandwidth for usability, and watch out for those print jobs

cdrake135
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So it sounds like light users require approx 65kbits/sec of bandwidth and power users can go past 1Mbits/sec with streaming video. Bottom line, your miliage may vary....test your environment to make sure.

Chris

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

As DavLloyd says Test In my opinion your printing will be the biggest bandwidth hog not RDP, investigate Uniprint Desktop edition http://www.uniprint.net/products_UniPrintDesktop.asp as a posible solution to kull print stream size as well.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How are you guys testing this?

I was thinking of putting a machine between the terminal and the ESX Server and just running ethereal or something to monitor bandwidth... any easier suggestions ?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Limit the traffic on the switch between the client and the server.

0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have network traceas placed on the devices but as a first call a soft solution is good enough. Something like Packaet Analyzer from Colasoft will allow you to run it up on a VM and will breakdown the statistics by port

0 Kudos
FrankSabatelli
Contributor
Contributor

We run two desktop farms and it all depends on your image. We have 8 different images and each has a differing RDP requirement. Just remember, anything with high screen refreshes, streaming media, aplets, or scolling bars will dramatically increase your RDP traffic. Our average RDP traffic is about 400 bytes over 53 ms round trips.

0 Kudos