VMware Horizon Community
ir1shm1ike
Contributor
Contributor

RDP + Audio/Video Ever?

Obviously there is a issue with playing Video/Audio through a RDP/VDI Connection from a Thin-Client. Has anyone heard any rumors, talk about Microsoft possibly updating RDP to be able to perform these functions or any other route to perform this task?

0 Kudos
27 Replies
kreischl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I received the code but didn't notice any difference. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Karl

What type of video are you playing back? Remmeber the only supported codecs currently are MPEG1, MPEG2, and WMV... at least that's all I was aware of in the last beta. Supposidly Flash and a few others are in the works though.

Also, make sure you installed the backend portion on the host machine. Both pieces need to be in place for this to work, but you should definitely see an easy to spot difference.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
kreischl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is a WMV file off of our streaming video server. I updated the V10L code and installed the software on my XP machine.

I'm going to hunt down a MPEG file and try that also.

EDIT: I'm lost. Watching a movie trailer from apple.com is no different between the two VM's with the multimedia software. It actually runs rather well on the VM without the software. I must be doing something wrong...time to call them back.

Message was edited by:

kreischl

0 Kudos
morganstanley
Contributor
Contributor

We are running Elusiva Terminal Server Enterprise ( http://www.elusiva.com/products ) beta with HP XPe Thin Clients.

TSE has audio acceleration and there is no delay, plus sound works both ways (input and output). We had to install additional software on thin clients though. Elusiva rep told us that it's possible to build firmware for Linux client. That would allow the same thing without having to shell out cash for XP Emebedded devices. We might look into this.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Very interesting link,

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not sure if there is a driver for XPe based Thin Clients but you can also look at Wyse for CTX (MMR). The bi-directional support is a plus but by providing it on XPe there a re comparitive options out there. I have found MMR to provide a good multimedia experience although it is a shame it does not currently support Flash or Realmedia (it is coming). The bi-directional audio is a definite nice have in the future for us in this new collabarative world (or VOIP with instant messenger as it really refers to) but I know the thin client providers such as Wyse are making noises in this direction for the future.

0 Kudos
snapper_
Contributor
Contributor

To give my expierences, we are also using WYSE V10L terminals in POC to get live video streaming (MPEG-4) from Bosch VIP 1000 S units into the VDI solution. After adding the "Wyse_TCX_Multimedia_1.11 Server" to the Windows XP virtual machine on the ESX 3.0.2 latest update 1 backend, we only get better audio but still no video.

We are talking with our local VMWare TAM and will give you guys feedback if I learn some more.

nice Xmas & new year.

0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We get a good experience for all supported codecs but we are running server version 2.0.x

0 Kudos