VMware Horizon Community
ForemanNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Quickprep creates new OU object but clone is not renamed!

I am having a problem creating linked clones with Windows 7.

I have followed all the guides and troubleshooting I can find, but still at a loss as to what is going on.

Created parent VM

Updated as per optimisation guide, hardware as per optimisation guide

Reinstalled VMware tools

Released IP

Shut down parent VM

Created Snapshot

Provisioned a new linked clone based on parent VM

New VM created, starts up, runs without error

Quickprep creates new computer object in the OU specified in the guest customisation

Nothing further is done as far as I can work out

Linked clone is accessible, and I can log on with domain administrator account

Linked clone still has parent VM's name, and DNS and DHCP still see it as the parents name

No logs are created on the linked clone, so I cannot find out whats gone wrong

According to the Events in VMware View Administrator, 1 hour after the video settings are configured, the customization times out.

No errors in the windows event log on the linked clone

If it was a physical computer, it would be 12 floors down in a bin at the moment!!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you also resinstall the View Agent? (VMware Tools and View Agent is not the same thing.)

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are some composer logs on VDI machine under  C:\windows\temp.   Also does it have network connectivity during the customization phase?

0 Kudos
ForemanNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I cannot find any logs on the linked clone under c:\windows\temp - do you mean the composer server?

When ever I have checked it, its always had network connectivity - this is confirmed by the linked clone computer object being created in the correct OU

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, I mean on the clone.  THey are named similar to vmware-viewcomposer-ga-new.log.  See this KB for all the log file locations,

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1027744

0 Kudos
ForemanNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The log does not exist on the linked clone, but attached are log entries from the composer server with some errors that mean nothing to me!

0 Kudos
ForemanNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I should add this is the first Windows 7 deployment I have attempted - the environment has not had Windows 7 computers previously if that matters.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How is the licensing done? With MAK or KMS? (KMS is the one officially supported)

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ForemanNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Licensing is done through KMS, and confirmed the KMS host is running the server KMS key (Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise) from the same licence agreement, in case it mattered.  I'm not so sure its an activation problem, as the linked clone still says its activated, but in my XP pool, the computer name is changed before I can even login - the computer name for guests in the Windows 7 pool aren't renamed at all, even after an hour, and I suspect that at the point the computer object is created in the OU, the View Administrator is trying to contact them on their new name.

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This is perhaps a stupid question, but have you actually installed the View Agent on your Win7 template? I don't see mention of it anywhere in your posts. This is required for customization of the linked-clone VMs to occur, and for it to be usable in View.

ForemanNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I found the VMXNET3 adapter would not install without it.  I also uninstalled VMware Tools, rebooted, reinstalled it, rebooted, confirmed VMXNET3 network adapter was working, released IP, shut down and snapshotted - still does not work.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you also resinstall the View Agent? (VMware Tools and View Agent is not the same thing.)

// Linjo

0 Kudos
ForemanNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ooops, can you tell I haven't done this before!  Ok, so if I browse to the View Manager server, will it install the right agent, or should I download it from the web.  We use View 5.0 here.

0 Kudos
ForemanNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, sorted - all I did was install the View Agent and everything worked!  Thanks mpryor and Linjo for pointing me in the right direction Smiley Happy

0 Kudos