VMware Horizon Community
VMUnderstudy
Contributor
Contributor

Quick question re: remote desktop users and domains

Hiya Everyone,

Just a quick one really. I am quite happy with most of VDI etc. However what I was taught on the course was in essence:

Create machine as you like it,

Join it to domain, do the remote desktop users/groups (ie your vdi user group)

Remove from domain

Convert to template.

Deploy using a customisation to join it to a domain.

That's all well and good and it gets sysprepped etc. However, long term would doing this cause issues with the remote desktop users.

What I am thinking is that since I added it when was part of a domain with different SID, and then re-sided and re-added to domain, does it cause any consistancy issues with orphaned groups or similar, or is it all good? Any good docs on this type fo thing would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Stu

0 Kudos
5 Replies
uday_s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What I would suggest is, have a template and always deploy VMs from this template. You can keep this template upto date.

Interesting article on SID at http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

Thanks,

Uday

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I've done this before and added the domain users group under Remote Desktop users.   I have never had any issues at all.

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This should not be an issue at all.

SID duplication is prevented if you use sysprep customization , and "Create New SID" is enabled in Custom Spec. If you customize using quick prep, it will be of same SID. In both the cases View composer will manage the computer accounts in domain controller, and will remove any stale computer accounts while deleting pools.

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

Who is teaching the use of templates in a VDI environment?  For your basic run of the mill VDI, I wouldn't bother with a template, I'd just do linked clones and snapshots.

There are plenty of use cases where what I just said isn't true, but what I don't like is that it sounds like someone taught you templates as if it is the best way to manage a VDI environment and I don't think that's true.  Its not that they taught you wrong, they didn't, I just don't understand why it would be taught that way.  I'd be teaching the use of snapshots and linked clones first, and only focus on template creation when you want to use full VMs because you have some awesome SAN on the back end that does better data de-dup and caching than what View can natively offer.

My two cents.

Gunnar Berger

www.gunnarberger.com

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
VMUnderstudy
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya,

I think there may have been a little misunderstanding here. Let me explain Smiley Happy

I am fully aware of linked clones and how dang useful they can be if you are doing any volume.

At the moment I am just doing a bit of revising and reading. I am doing the basics, ie a pool of manual machines.

In order to get these manual machines working, ie deployed, I am creating a master image and adding to the domain. Once it works, remove from the domain. The customisation script adds the machine into the Domain.

The source of the question was basically, as we know, in order to get VDI working, there needs to be a group or user within the Remote Users group.

My question was, once the user/group has been added whilst the machine is a member of the domain, once the templated machine has been removed from the domain prior to making it a template or sysprepped on deployment, would it have any issues with the VDI users group under remote users being created/added when it was in the domain.

Stu

0 Kudos