VMware Horizon Community
smithr1971
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question....

We are getting ready to start using Vmware and currently we have 10 labs with 20 computers in each lab. The computers in the lab already have full windows operating systems installed. i know that we will be using Vmware view clients on the machines along with Unidesk.  What state do the computers in the lab need to be in in order for the Vcenter to see the clients. I'm starting from the desktop and moving towards the backend process. Should I be researching kiosk mode?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Using Kiosk-mode you can authenticate using the Computers AD "Object" or Account if you want to call it that.

It will be very easy to do Smiley Happy Vmware have thought of this and your requirement is easy to implement.

Here is the document you need!

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View-KioskMode-WP-EN.pdf

Best regards, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". Please visit my blog at http://vmblog.co.za

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
cruxv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no, I was in the same situation a while ago with mobile computer's on wheels (COWs). After reading up on kiosk mode, I decided that would be a pain in the ass so I ended up editing the VMware supplied script for kiosk mode, used the command line arguments, made it autologon, and made my two scripts of my own on top of that. We use Wyse terminals for the client computers (not attached to the domain).

Shell.cmd (bolded areas are what I added or edited)

:: This script launches the View Client in kiosk mode.
:: When the View Client exits, this script conditionally restarts
:: the View Client depending on the exit code.
:: Exit code == 0    -> View Client exited cleanly. Relaunch
:: Exit code > 0     -> View Client exited with a non-fatal error. Relaunch
:: Exit code < 0     -> View Client encountered fatal error. Exit.
::
:: The script also does some relaunch throttling. After 5 consecutive failed
:: attempts to relaunch the View Client, the script waits for 30 seconds before
:: reattempting to launch View Client.
:: edited by Matt Villilo

@echo off

REM ::Allows to check for network connectivity before starting up the client and trying to connect

:PINGSTART
ping -n 1
<ENTER A REACHABLE IP ADDRESS HERE>
if %errorlevel% == 1 goto PINGSTART

setlocal

if (%1) == (/?) (
   echo Usage: kiosk_mode -serverURL ^<broker URL^>
   goto :eof
)

:launch
echo Launching View Client
start /wait c:\progra~1\vmware\vmware~1\client\bin\wswc.exe -desktopName "<DESKTOP NAME HERE>" -domainName "<DOMAIN HERE>" -userName <A USER NAME HERE> -password <A PASSWORD HERE> -server <VIEW SERVER HERE>

:: Fatal error. Throw in the towel.
if %errorlevel% lss 0 (
   echo Fatal error launching kiosk mode. Exiting.
   goto :eof
)

::  View Client exited successfully. Relaunch View Client.
::  Relaunching the View client immediately often causes a
::  "desktop not available" error. So wait for a few seconds before relaunching
if %errorlevel% equ 0 (
   set ERROR_EXIT_CTR = 0
   echo View Client exited successfully
   echo Relaunching View Client in 2 seconds
   sleep 2
   goto launch
)

:: View Client exited with non-fatal error.
:: Update error exit count, wait for a few seconds, then relaunch
:: If we are relaunching the View Client too often, back off for a few seconds before
:: retrying
if %errorlevel% gtr 0 (
   echo View Client exited with a non-fatal error: %errorlevel%
   set /a ERROR_EXIT_CTR = ERROR_EXIT_CTR + 1
   set /a WAIT_RELAUNCH = ERROR_EXIT_CTR %% 5
   sleep 2
)

:: After 5 consecutive error exits, wait for a few seconds before
:: attempting relaunch
if %WAIT_RELAUNCH% == 0 (
   echo Too many restart attemtpts. Relaunching kiosk mode in 30 seconds.
   sleep 30
)

goto launch

endlocal

Then I decided I didn't like the command prompt box that sits there so I grabbed the following script and edited it

Hide_Shell.vbs

CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "c:\<LOCATION OF YOUR BATCH SCRIPT HERE>",0,True

Then I decided I wanted it to run like it was the shell replacement (which you can do by editing the registry, but doing so will affect the all the users logging into it)

Start_shell.cmd

@echo off
taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
start wscript c:\<LOCATION OF YOUR VBS SCRIPT HERE>

Obviously this could all get compressed into a much better running script of some sorts, I just haven't had the time to do that. This is what we're using for now and it works great. Hope this helps

Message was edited by: cruxv

0 Kudos
smithr1971
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you have to have windows embedded software on the client machine or is there a way that the VMware view login box will appear at power up?

0 Kudos
cflora
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We essentially created our own kiosk mode.  Using Visual Basic we created a very simple executable with a logon button then when pressed launched the View client.  We then replaced windows explorer as the shell so that the users only see this custom login button that launches the View client.  We also use group policy to configure the view connection server that the client uses so that when they click the Login button it connects automatically and prompts for a username/password.  If you want more details on how we do this let me know. 

0 Kudos
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

What is your goal with running "Kiosk-Mode"? Just to understand what your requirement is and so that I can give you the correct advice and guidance.

Usually this mode is used in areas where you want the control taken away from the user and force them to use the view desktop. The built in features in View 5.1 and GPO you can do this fairly quickly and it works pretty well.

Also your authentication of your computer accounts what is your setup there? Obviously true kiosk-mode the client will log straight into the VD without requiring actual "User" authentication but uses the  "Computer" account to authenticate using Mac or Name.

Send me a MSG if you need help!

Cheers

Best regards, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". Please visit my blog at http://vmblog.co.za
smithr1971
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to make it easy for our teachers to launch VMware view client without having to login or load windows. This may not be possible.

1. Do we have to have an OS on our current systems to launch VMware view client? Our classrooms are currently running Dell OptiPlex 755’s with windows 7. I just think it will confuse them if they login to windows and then have to launch VMware view client. If yes, can we use Embedded Windows 7?

2. Faculty has AD accounts that they use in their offices and currently the classrooms login using generic Ad accounts. I just want the faculty to boot up pc to a VMware view login prompt and launch the VDI session. Can this be done?

Bad part is management is trying to throw this together rather quickly without training. We will also be using Unidesk to manage the VM’s if that makes any difference. Basically I don’t want two layers of operating systems, but since we can’t afford to buy zero clients or thin clients we are stuck with what we got. Once the 3rd party comes and installs the backbone of all this maybe we can get some clarifications on some things, but until then we are trying to stay above water. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Using Kiosk-mode you can authenticate using the Computers AD "Object" or Account if you want to call it that.

It will be very easy to do Smiley Happy Vmware have thought of this and your requirement is easy to implement.

Here is the document you need!

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View-KioskMode-WP-EN.pdf

0 Kudos