VMware Horizon Community
mclark
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Question about new Mac client

We just upgraded to View 4.5. We had the "AllowDirectRDP" option set in AD Group Policies to deny direct RDP sessions in View 4.0, for added security. Now that the Mac has a "real" client and cannot use the web portal, one of our users is no longer able to get into his desktop. He gets an "Access Denied" message, which is coming from that Group Policy setting. I see in http://code.google.com/p/vmware-view-open-client/issues/detail?id=81 that it looks like this option must be enabled for the Mac to connect with the new client. Anyone know if there is going to be a fix to allow us to shut direct RDP back off again and have the Mac client still work? That was an added security precaution for us, and now to allow Mac users to get in we have to drop that option, and I would like to get it back eventually.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Well, I'm not sure on whether or not the RDC issue itself will be fixed. I believe the plans are to add PCoIP support to the Mac client going forward which will effectively remove the need for this GPO.

I can't say for sure though as these details haven't been confirmed yet. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That is an excellent question!

I haven't seen this particular issue come up yet but I have posted the question internally here at VMware and I will see if I get a response. I think opening an SR to get this addressed may also be a good idea because I may not be able to get this addressed as quickly as you may with an SR.

-Mike

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please let me know if you find out something. At your request, I filed an online SR. I can post that number if you need it or if it would be helpful for you.

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, so I found out that this is a known issue. This is caused by the differences in the way that the Mac RDC connects to the desktop and the limitation doesn't exist on either the Windows or Linux clients as you probably know.

For now, our best suggestion is to put all desktops that will be connected to by Mac users into a separate OU with this GPO set to true.

-Mike

mclark
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So I assume that since you say "for now", that this is being investigated for a fix? I guess I won't ask for a timeframe, just to know that it is being (or will be) worked on.

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Well, I'm not sure on whether or not the RDC issue itself will be fixed. I believe the plans are to add PCoIP support to the Mac client going forward which will effectively remove the need for this GPO.

I can't say for sure though as these details haven't been confirmed yet. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

-Mike

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks for your assistance. Hopefully this is resolved relatively soon, with either PCoIP for the Mac or fixing the RDP issue. I'll take either one.

0 Kudos