VMware Horizon Community
mclark
Expert
Expert

Question about View 5 upgrade path order

I read the vSphere 5 and View 5 upgrade guides. My upgrade plan according to the guides is as follows (and, please, tell me if this is wrong):

View Connection Server 4.6 -> 5   [ same server upgrade ]

View Composer 2.6 (View 4.6)  -> 2.7 (View 5)   [ same server upgrade ]

vCenter (and sub-items like Update Manager) 4.1 U1 -> 5  [ same server upgrade ]

ESXi 4.1 U1 -> 5  [ probably vmotion VMs / fresh install ]

My big question is about the SQL database. Currently I have MS SQL 2005 Express on the vCenter server. It sounds like SQL 2005 Express is not supported for View 5 or vCenter 5, so I want to upgrade the DB to SQL 2008 R2 Express. It appears that support was added for that to vCenter 4.1, so I should be good (?). I can't tell if that DB is supported with View 4.6 (View Composer 2.6). I would like to go ahead and get the MS SQL updated ahead of time if I can, but not if it's going to break View Composer. I can't find an answer to this, so anyone that knows (wponder?), please give me some guidance.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The supported databases are listed in the install guide - http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.view.installation.doc/GUID-37D39B4F-5870-...

There is a table that covers composer and vSpshere so you can see it all in one place. I am not a View Composer expert, but it looks like you will need to tweak your upgrade plan.

The only cross version support is with the non Express versions of SQL.

Looks like you will need to bump your VC first.

Hope that helps.

WP

0 Kudos