VMware Horizon Community
DWSmall
Contributor
Contributor

Question about Horizon license upgrade

We are getting ready to upgrade a Horizon 7.6 environment to Horizon 8.4.  Between switching from linked-clonse to instant-clones, and the loss of persistent drives in Horizon 8, we want to just build out a new environment and then have the users switch to a new URL when it is ready.

To build out the new environment we need a Horizon 8 license key.  We can upgrade the current Horizon 7 license key in the portal, but I want to make sure that when we do that, the current Horizon 7 environment will not begin throwing error messages or just stop working.  We should only need to keep the old environment up long enough to test and get the word out to the users (2-4 weeks depending on testing).

Someone in a chat support session told me that upgrading the old Horizon 7 key will not impact the current server in any way, but it seems like a pretty weak licensing system if that is true.  Someone could buy a Horizon 7 license and use it.  Then upgrade the key to Horizon 8 and just keep the old Horizon 7 system running and have both right?  This is not the plan, but I do want to make sure that upgrading the old Horizon 7 key will not impact the old production environment and that it will continue to work for at least 4 weeks until we migrate all the users and decomm the old Horizon 7 environment.

One other thing about DEM.

I was told that all Horizon 8 licenses now include DEM, but it doesn't seem to be included in any of the download bundles.  When you upgrade the Horizon 7 license to Horizon 8 do you get a license key for DEM as well?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, I do this all the time and you are correct is not ideal for VMware. But, if you move to a subscription based licensing you will deploy a Cloud Connector that monitors the licensing usage. You will be fine to run through a upgrade but after you need to switch over if you are on a subscription.

DEM 2203 and newer move FlexEngine licensing to the configuration share and DEM console. If you are upgrading existing FlexEngines then the previous license will continue functioning. New FlexEngines need the new licensing configuration method.

Ref: VMware Dynamic Environment Manager 2203 – Carl Stalhood

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
DWSmall
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  I am pretty sure that the customer is using perpetual licenses.  We are upgrading their environment from vSphere6.5/Horizon7.6 and most of their gear has not been updated in over 4 years, which I believe pre-dates VMware subscription based licensing.  

Are you saying when we go to upgrade their current Horizon 7 license, it will convert to a subscription based license?  We have upgraded some of their vSphere 6 to vSphere 7 licenses, and one of their vCenter 6 to vCenter 7, but they (appear to have) remained perpetual.  Is there some subtle indication in VMware's licensing portal that a license is subscription based -vs- perpetual?

I'm not familiar with FlexEngine. Is that a component of DEM?  As I mentioned the customer has a license for Horizon 7, which they have maintained coverage/support for, but with Horizon 7, DEM (or I guess it was call UEM then) was only included with the Enterprise Horizon license.  I was told that DEM is included with all license levels for Horizon 8, but is that only for new purchases, or does that include customers who upgrade to DEM?

We were able to get a 60-day trial license for Horizon 8 to get the new ennvironment up and working.  That did not include a license for DEM or FlexEngine, but did include a license for WorkSpace One.  Is WorkSpace One replacing the Horizon Client for user connections?

Sorry for all the NUB questions, but I'm having trouble finding anything clear and concise about licensing for Horizon 8 and what is included (or not), and if there are any differances if you are upgrading an existing license from Horizon 7 to Horizon 8.

0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, no sorry the licensing doesn’t change for this upgrade. In myware page, upgrade the license to Horizon 8. This will generate a new key, 

I am very sure the DEM is included in Horiozn 8 Standard. Check out the users portal to see what licenses they have or do a ibr report on the licensing from VMware. 

WS1 is a different animal, you can front Horizon with WS1 but it doesn’t replace the client. It’s a portal to apps, internal/external urls etc.

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos