VMware Horizon Community
vengadan
Contributor
Contributor

Queries on VMware View Composer

I have some few queries with respect to VMware View Composer, it would be great favour if you take some time to respond to my queries

1. The Master Image is going to be as Base Image. and the Snapshot which we are going to took from the Master Image is going to be served as a Replica. My question is i have a Master VM that is configured with the following

Master VM - VM with 2 GB RAM, 32 GB of Hard Disk, which has WIndows 8 OS, Application like MS word, Adobe, Pinter Configuration, VMware View agent and finally Login VSI Targert. Does all this things which i mentioned is going to be on Base Image?
Or what all the content does the Base Image will have?

2. If all this things is going to be on Base Image, what is Replica will Contain?
Replica is nothing but a full clone, from the Snapshot for the Master Image.

3. If i am creating some 10 Virtual Desktops from View Manager using Linked Clone technology then what will be the Disks that will be present on the Virtual Desktops. (I know its going to be Delta Disks + Logs + User Disks). So in this cases what all the things that is going to be on delta OS disks?

4. Suppose if i upgrade any patches to the Master VM.. I need to take a new snapshot . So if i take a new Snapshot , one more replica is going to be created. so at that time i need to recompose the virtual desktops. In that case what will be my Base Image? Old or New one with updated Patches.

Kindly Let me know the above queries.

Thanks in Advance Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

1:  The replica will be based on the snapshot

2:  The replica is a thin provisioned copy of the master/snap

3:  whatever changes on the clone will be written to the delta

4:  Power up Master,  Update with new patches,  shutdown master, take snapshot,  point pool to new snapshot and recompose.   A new replica will be created based on that snapshot and recomposed desktops will now point to that replica with the updates patches.

0 Kudos
vengadan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks....

Few Questions.

1. Intially we are going to have only one Base Image. With that Base Image only we are going to push it to many users in an enterprise.

what will the BASE IMAGE will have?

2. If i am making any changes to the Master VM, i will create a new snapshot, and recompose the Virtual Machine with New SNAPSHOT. In that case what will be my BASE IMAGE?

Kindly let me know this alone.

0 Kudos