VMware Horizon Community
MikeD3883
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Published Apps on RDSH with App Volumes - Can't find Apps

HI All,

I'm working on a deployment using Horizon to publish applications. The applications are hosted on an Instant Clone RDSH Farm and are mounted using Applications in App Volumes 4.

However, we're seeing an issue where the Horizon agent isn't able to find the application, even though the Application vdmk has been mounted to the VM:

2020-08-03T14:44:34.582+02:00 INFO  (11A4-17A4) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_applaunchmgr] Creating Shortcut from "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Completion String Design.lnk"

2020-08-03T14:44:34.582+02:00 INFO  (11A4-17A4) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_applaunchmgr] Resolving shortcut "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Completion String Design.lnk"

2020-08-03T14:44:34.582+02:00 ERROR (11A4-17A4) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_applaunchmgr] "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Completion String Design.lnk": failed to load IPeristFile

I'm suspecting that App Volumes isn't actually creating the start menu entries until a user actually logs in, but this would totally break Horizon's discovery of the app(s). The VMware documentation is wonderfully vague on publishing applications using App Volumes and seems to imply that "it just works."

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Am I missing something?

Environment details:

App Volumes Manager 4, version 2006

App Volumes Agent 4.1.0.57

Horizon 7.10

Windows Server 2016 RDS Hosts (Instant Clones)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeD3883
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found the issue - DelayVirtualizationType registry key for App Volumes had not been set on the golden image, as per the last line of Install App Volumes Agent

Subsequently App Volumes was not fully mounting the applications on startup which meant that Horizon couldn't find them.

*face-palm*

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeD3883
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found the issue - DelayVirtualizationType registry key for App Volumes had not been set on the golden image, as per the last line of Install App Volumes Agent

Subsequently App Volumes was not fully mounting the applications on startup which meant that Horizon couldn't find them.

*face-palm*

0 Kudos