VMware Horizon Community
ThinAppNeophyte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Provisioning Issues in View 5.2

VMware View 5.2.0 build-987719

Ok, I'm having a strange issue that I haven't been able to track down.  I have a Linked Clone pool that is showing a small red X on the pool icon.  When I open up the properties of that pool it shows an error message:

"Error during provisioning: A general system error occurred: Error{VmdbError] (-20) Stale data"

Some of the symptoms that I am seeing now because of this error include:

1. If I try to add more desktops to the existing pool, then no new desktops are being created.

2. When I attempt to Recompose this linked clone pool (or an individual desktop), I can see that the new replica is being created inside of vCenter.  I can see that the existing desktop(s) going through the reconfigure steps.  Then when the existing desktop powers down, it never automatically powers back on.  If I manually power the desktop on through vCenter, it will finish going through the customization process and then become available within View Administrator.  What could cause the desktop to not automatically power back on?

I have already tried using multiple different snapshots as the base image to recompose with and also set as the default image for the pool.  I have tried to used snapshots from months ago that I know where working correctly when the snapshot was created.  If seems as though there is some sort of communication issue either between View Administrator and View Composer, or between View Composer and vCenter.  But I'm not sure why the Recompose operation sort of works (all but the power on of the desktop) and these other operations wouldn't work.

I am fairly certain that these two issues/symptoms are related.  What can I look for that might be the root cause here?

Suggestions welcome!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThinAppNeophyte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Forgot to update this thread with the resolution.  I contacted VMware support and they recommended bumping up the memory allocated to the vCenter server.  Issue resolved.  Not quite sure why this was the issue though.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Your point (2) about the operations not occurring makes me think you're running into a deadlock issue in the provisioning code that was fixed in the 5.3.2 release. While you don't fit the symptoms detailed in the release note exactly ("Provisioning an automated desktop pool does not initiate and View Administrator does not report any error.") the power on operation as part of recompose would be impacted as well.  I've not seen issue (1) before. Are you able to upgrade?

VMware Horizon View Release Notes

0 Kudos
ThinAppNeophyte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading possibility, but it would also be nice to understand the root cause of the issue.  Upgrading may alleviate the symptoms but also possibly just make the cause and kick the can down the road further.

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you generate a support bundle while you're experiencing the issue, it's possible to tell whether it's the issue I mention. You can privately send me the ws_diag.txt file from it if you'd like me to take a quick look. Otherwise, you'll have to raise a support request and get it properly investigated.

0 Kudos
ThinAppNeophyte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Forgot to update this thread with the resolution.  I contacted VMware support and they recommended bumping up the memory allocated to the vCenter server.  Issue resolved.  Not quite sure why this was the issue though.

0 Kudos