VMware Horizon Community
CCTN
Contributor
Contributor

Provision Error / Linked Clones....vmware.sim.fault.vcdatastoreinaccessiblefault

Trying to deploy linked clones w/ view composer and I get the following error when it tries to provision the desktop (vmware.sim.fault.vcdatastoreinaccessiblefault).  Provisioning seemed to work fine with 4.5 but when I updated to 4.6 it will not provision the desktop.  My research has led me to the ESX host not communicating with the datastore, and recommended to remove the ESX host from the cluster and then re join once the datastore connections are established (will try this tomorrow).  Has anyone experienced this error.  My event logs are not detailed so I'm unable to pinpoint where the error is coming from.

Win 2K8 R2 Security Server

NetApp for storage

Win 2K3 AD

ESX 4.1 / View 4.6

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I have experienced issues in the past when not all of my host could see all the shared datastores.   I haven't seen it in awhile and can't reember the exact error message I received.    Any connectivity problems between the host and this particular datastore?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Also found this link.

http://vmfaq.com/entry/80/

0 Kudos
cgrubbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a similar issue after the upgrade to 4.6 that I resolved by rebooting the Composer server.

0 Kudos
CCTN
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply...Today I'm going to remove this host from the cluster and then re-attach and see if that works.  Do you know if the Active Directory is required to be on a 2K 8 server?  Right now it's running on a 2K3 server...I don't think really makes a difference.  Again, thanks for the previous response.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you remove the host that is having datastore problems out of the cluster than you should be able to provision machines.   If you add it back and it is still having issues communicating with datastores than more than likely the problem will not be resolved.    Good luck and keep us posted.

0 Kudos
CCTN
Contributor
Contributor

Update:  Pulled the host out of the cluster and created a new pool and provisioned a few desktops and it worked!  Then, I moved the host back into the cluster and updated the pool resource settings to point to the cluster and re-attached the data stores and it still worked!  Then I deleted the pool and tried to create a new pool within the cluster and recieved the original error (vmware.sim.fault.vcdatastoreinaccessiblefault).  So, if I create a pool on a host, and then move the host to a cluster, it works, but if I try to create a pool within a cluster, it errors out????? I don't know....more testing.

0 Kudos