VMware Horizon Community
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

Providing Access via Juniper Device

Has anyone setup VMware View 3.0 or 3.1 for secure access through a Juniper SSL Device? Do I need to create a Secure View Manager or can I jsut point the Juniper to the View Manager instance?

Not sure how these Juniper devices work so if anyone has done it I would be interested to hear best practices.

Also I know the Juniper will do an end-point analysis to detect that AV is installed and up to date etc. Is it possible to limit the USB redirection and client drive mapping to a View desktop based on the results of this scan?

THanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mjsvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you are using a Juniper SSL VPN to come into the network to use View then I cannot see a reason to have a View Secure Server.

I'm no Juniper expert, but most of these SSL VPN solutions are rather flexible in how you can configure the flow of traffic.

Once the user has established an SSL VPN connection they should be able to open the view client and connect to the View Connection Server (depending on your traffic rules)

Hope this helps

Jason Silva http://silvaecs.com http://twitter.com/silvaecs
0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

Can I setup the View manager webpage as a "Published Application" so that I can simply click on an icon to launch. This will allow the use of non-corporate laptops to use a remote desktop.

0 Kudos
jrVMguy
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure if we are connecting to our View environment through a Juniper SSL VPN but we do connect to our environment through SSL VPN. Once we have established a connection to the SSL VPN device we are presented with a webpage and one of the links on that webpage is to our View Connection server. When we click on that link we are taken right to our Connection server where we have to authenticate and then the rest of the connection is normal from there.

I can't speak for the setup of the SSL VPN device as we don't have control of that part of our network. I do know that we spent about a week getting it setup so that it would work. I'm sorry that I can't provide you with any specifics on the setup as we were not involved in the details of any changes that needed to be made to make the connection work.

0 Kudos
bartrogiers
Contributor
Contributor

Hello JJ,

Yes, I'm in the middle of doing some testing with VMware View and the Juniper SSL VPN appliance SA2500.

I simply created a web bookmark (link to an internal web server) linked to your View Manager. (ex https://viewmanager_server).

The whole SSO feature is available as well. You can configure the Juniper that as a default he launches the Web bookmark. And in the View Manager, in case there is only one VM configured, you can immediately launch that one.

So, One time credentials used for your Juniper, credentials are passed through View Manager, and View Manager passes them through VM

One minor point: in my case the performance is poor. But it looks promising.

About USB direction and client drive mapping, I can't help you on that one.

0 Kudos