VMware Horizon Community
hyyypeeer
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with VMware View 4.0

Hello Guys,

my apprenticeship is nearly finished and I'm working on my annual examination. I'm heading for a Test-Environment with 2 or 3 Clients starting a Virtual Desktop using VMware View 4.0. I'm very unexperienced with this kind of Virtualization. I read a lot and I understand what I have to do but I'm getting some errors I can't fix on my own and the Searchfunction helped just a little bit. So I need your help Smiley Happy

What have I done:

I set up an ESXi 4.0 - booted from USB and it works fine. To Manage my ESXi, I use the vSphere Client.

First I created a new virtual machine and installed Windows Server 2003 R2 on it. I added an Active Directory called "VDI.testumgebung" and added some users.

A Windows XP Client has been created as a virtual machine as well containing the Setup of the View Agent.

Another Windows Server 2003 R2 is working as the connection server.

All Machines have successfully joined the Domain "VDI" and Windows authentification works with Domain Users.

I opened the "Vmware View administrator" and tried to add a new Desktop Pool -Clicked Register "Desktops and Pools" ... Clicked up to Point "6 - Physical Sources" and here comes Problem #1. The list is empty and I can't find any Source-Computer.

It seems as I can't browse my AD - Can't find any user ( chose my Domain instead of entire directory ).

Event-Log says:

Message: AD Query: error executing LDAP AD Query. Failed to list users: Could not execute query. Could not bind to LDAP://dc=vdi,dc=testumgebung AD Query e

Type: Error

Time: 04.03.10 13:54:51

Module: DirectoryQueryManagerADImpl

Thread: TP-Processor3

Additional details:

AD Query: error executing LDAP AD Query. Failed to list users: Could not execute query. Could not bind to LDAP://dc=vdi,dc=testumgebung

AD Query error occurred, HRESULT: 8007054b

Error Code: 0

Error Text:

Provider:

Additional Information:

- Firewall deactivated

Please, can you help me ? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

You need a VM running vCenter and your ESX needs to be version 4.0.1.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
hyyypeeer
Contributor
Contributor

Thx for your help...

My ESXi is 4.0.1!

Is vCenter really necessary?

- Is it possible to run vCenter on the same VM Connection Server is running on?

vCenter can be implemented by adding it to "Configuration/Servers"?

0 Kudos
rpartmann
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi hyypeeer,

1.) VC neccessary?

Afaik, only if you want to have automated pools to create.

If you have only standalone PC´s with view agents as desktops then probably not, but never tried it that way.

2.) VC & ViewConnectionServer on same host

NO, because the are using the same port eg: 443

hth,

Reinhard.

ps: Award points if you find answers helpful. Thanks.

ps: Award points if you find answers helpful. Thanks.