VMware Horizon Community
bburgan
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with External CD-ROM with Thin Clients

I run vSphere 4.1 with VMWare View.  I have 5 Pooled Desktops attached to 5 HP Thin Clients.  The problem my users are experiencing has to do with External CD-Roms.  Initially, I was having a hard time attaching any CD-ROMs including my Desktops.  However, after searching a bit on the forums, I found that running the VDI client in administrator mode fixed that problem.

The original problem for the thin clients was that when we attached External CD-ROM drives, we could not transfer files from the CDs.  It would _read_ the CD, and you could browse the directories and files, but when you try to move them from the CD to (In this case, the user prefers the 'My Documents' folder) the computer, it would give an error saying it cannot find the file specified.

The first thing I did, which I _thought_ corrected the problem (Also found from searching these forums) was to switch the Virtual Machines to use Passthrough IDE.  This worked, and I thought my troubles were over.

But this last time when the user tried to transfer files, the same thing happened as before.  He is using the same Virtual machine as before, and I verified none of the settings have been changed.

Has anyone run into this before, or has something I can try?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies