VMware Horizon Community
nov1ce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problems access Connection server using a different URL

Hello,

Latest Horizon View setup with one Connection (view.local.net) and one RDS (rds.local.net) server.

On the Connection server, there is a self-signed certificate issued for view.local.net with the vdm friendly name setup.

External URL for "HTTP(S) Secure Tunnel" is set to https://view.local.net:443, "PCoIP Secure Gateway" is not selected, and "Blast External URL" points to https://view.local.net:8443

Clients access Connection server using the latest VMware Horizon Client using view.local.net, and everything is working fine.

Now, I have a customer who can't use view.local.net from their environment but rather view.domain.org. So they setup to resolve view.domain.org to the IP of view.local.net.

They add a new server in VMware Horizon Client, get the login prompt, but can't login (the error message says the server can't be resolved).  I'm not sure which server they are trying to resolve?

From the firewall perspective I see 443/tcp hit to view.domain.org, so they can definitely resolve view.domain.org. After that I'd expect 4172/tcp hits to the RDS server which I don't see.

Do they need to be able to resolve rds.local.net as well?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Claudiocaf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's expected, let me explain:

1. User select connection server view.domain.net

2. He is prompted for credentials

3. The connection server ask the client to connect to the external URL, specifically view.local.net and the client is not able to resolve it

4. User gets "server can't be resolved" error message

Question, the user is not able to resolve view.local.net but he is able to ping it?

Should be this the case, you can put the IP address in the External URL instead of the FQDN

Alternatively, you could deploy another connection server for users connecting to view.domain.net, and set the External URL accordingly.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Claudiocaf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's expected, let me explain:

1. User select connection server view.domain.net

2. He is prompted for credentials

3. The connection server ask the client to connect to the external URL, specifically view.local.net and the client is not able to resolve it

4. User gets "server can't be resolved" error message

Question, the user is not able to resolve view.local.net but he is able to ping it?

Should be this the case, you can put the IP address in the External URL instead of the FQDN

Alternatively, you could deploy another connection server for users connecting to view.domain.net, and set the External URL accordingly.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
nov1ce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Claudiocaf

Many thanks! Putting the IP address fixed the issue.

0 Kudos