VMware Horizon Community
prezha
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with Utilizing Smart Card Reader

Dear All,

I would kindly ask for help in proper setup of the USB smart card reader(s) to be used inside vDesktop (not for Domain Authentication - for now):

Using ThinOS-based (not Windows based and does not support PCoIP) Wyse Thin Client (C10LE and V50LE models) with latest 7.0_113 firmware, I successfully connect to Windows 7 and Windows XP vDesktops (with username + password & SSO) over the RDP on the latest View 4.6 platform.

With Wyse TCX Suite, I managed to get Smart Card Reader (ActiveIdentitiy USB Reader v3 & Gemalto PC USB-SL) reckognised and shown in Device Manager and furthermore - installed the drivers with Windows Update.

When trying to access/read the Smart Card plugged-in (a specific one - not used for authentification, but for stored data retrieval), the application reports that there is no readers available (although there is one in Device Manager)?!

I do not have a drivers for the Smart Card, but it works fine nevertheless on the PC desktop without it.

The next step would be to use the Smart Cards with the Certificates loaded to authenticate to Web Applications.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

prezha

0 Kudos
2 Replies
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When using RDP, you need to use the built-in shared smart card redirection specific to RDP.  Remote desktops in RDP do not see locally installed USB smart card readers (which is essentially what you're doing when you are redirecting a smart card reader over USB).  Simply put, you shouldn't have to do anything to get smart card redirection working in the remote desktop over RDP other than installing the necessary middleware on the client and remote desktop.

0 Kudos
arakelian
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos