VMware Horizon Community
noone396
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem with USB Redirection and VMware Horizon Client 4.4

Hello everyone,

We're attempting to use a USB device (smart card reader) to pass smart card credentials from one VM to another VM via Horizon Client 4.4. We're able to see the USB device (smart card reader) through the first VM but not the second one. We're getting the "No suitable USB devices available" error. Additionally, we noticed that the "smart card service" would crash on the second VM (after login in with admin credentials).

Both the VMs have View Agent 6.2 and Horizon Client 4.4 installed. We're using VMware Horizon 7.

I've provided steps below for more clarification on how we want USB redirection to work:

1. Log into first VM (we're able to use the USB device here)

2. Log into second (we can't see the USB device here)

Thanks in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
noone396
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response @axshun. Turns out that VMware doesn't support USB redirection for nested VMs. USB redirection only works from the locally attached device to the first VM. We'll just have to find another way work.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
axshun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you have any group policies configured for USB redirection? If so, do you have a specific USB families/classes excluded on the second VM? Are you using the same physical machine to access both VMs? Also, this white paper helped me out a lot recently: USB Redirection, Configuration, and Usage in View Virtual Desktops. Hope it helps you as well!

noone396
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response @axshun. Turns out that VMware doesn't support USB redirection for nested VMs. USB redirection only works from the locally attached device to the first VM. We'll just have to find another way work.

axshun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ahah! That's a fun bit of trivia that I didn't know. Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos