VMware Horizon Community
vintera
Contributor
Contributor

Problem while checking out a "Offline Desktop"

Hello together

We're fighting against a really strange problem in vmware view 4.5.

After a few seconds the checkout process stops with the following error message:

This desktop cannot be checked out. It depends upon a package that has not been published. Please contact your system administrator

Logfile:

2010-10-01 11:06:02,368 DEBUG <selectDesktopThread> SelectDesktopDialog::OVDICheckOut: requesting checkout with ID 58190869-7d01-4b27-9156-538bc7a37d32.

2010-10-01 11:06:02,399 DEBUG <BoraThread> Repository::OVDI::Repository::ScanPackages: scanning package directory C:\Users\s_backup\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Lokale Desktops\Mobile Users\mvdi.session.lck.

2010-10-01 11:06:02,399 DEBUG <BoraThread> OVDIClientGetBaseDiskRepo: initialized local image repository for C:\Users\s_backup\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Lokale Desktops\Mobile Users\CN=WINXP_MOBILE,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int.vmx.

2010-10-01 11:06:02,399 DEBUG <BoraThread> Checkout: desktop (CN=WINXP_MOBILE,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int) - initialized local image repository: C:\Users\s_backup\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Lokale Desktops\Mobile Users\.

2010-10-01 11:06:02,415 DEBUG <BoraThread> Checkout: Performing a full checkout of CN=WINXP_MOBILE,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int (cfg C:\Users\s_backup\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Lokale Desktops\Mobile Users\CN=WINXP_MOBILE,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int.vmx).

2010-10-01 11:06:02,415 DEBUG <BoraThread> CreateCheckoutWorkflow: creating checkout worfklow with no starting state.

2010-10-01 11:06:02,493 DEBUG <BoraThread> StartCheckoutActivity: Starting desktop checkout.

2010-10-01 11:06:47,031 ERROR <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> checkout-desktop (checkout-desktop) response xml ERROR = failed to checkout desktop: com.vmware.vdi.desktoptracker.MVDIOperationControl$MVDIOperationException: This desktop cannot be checked out. It depends upon a package that has not been published. Please contact your system administrator.

2010-10-01 11:06:47,031 DEBUG <BoraThread> OnXMLCallFailure: Der Desktop kann nicht ausgecheckt werden. Er hängt von einem Paket ab, das noch nicht veröffentlicht wurde. Wenden Sie sich an Ihren Systemadministrator..

2010-10-01 11:06:47,031 DEBUG <BoraThread> CheckoutWorkflowDone: checkout of 'CN=WINXP_MOBILE,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int' ('C:\Users\s_backup\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Lokale Desktops\Mobile Users\CN=WINXP_MOBILE,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int.vmx') failed. Running pause/failure workflow.

2010-10-01 11:06:47,031 DEBUG <BoraThread> Checkout operation 58190869-7d01-4b27-9156-538bc7a37d32 of desktop CN=WINXP_MOBILE,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int with config file C:\Users\s_backup\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Lokale Desktops\Mobile Users\CN=WINXP_MOBILE,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int.vmx is complete: Der Desktop kann nicht ausgecheckt werden. Er hängt von einem Paket ab, das noch nicht veröffentlicht wurde. Wenden Sie sich an Ihren Systemadministrator..

2010-10-01 11:06:47,077 ERROR <selectDesktopThread> OnOVDICompletion: operation failed: Der Desktop kann nicht ausgecheckt werden. Er hängt von einem Paket ab, das noch nicht veröffentlicht wurde. Wenden Sie sich an Ihren Systemadministrator.

Can anyone help us?

There are no visible problems with the connection brokers, the transfer server works, the desktop configuration is supports the "Offline Desktop" feature.

- VM = windows xp sp3, Client with Client = windows 7 Enterprise

thanks and greetings from switzerland

0 Kudos
15 Replies
vintera
Contributor
Contributor

does anyone has the same problem or an idea maybe.. ? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
PxPxger
Contributor
Contributor

Is this a linked clone pool desktop that you are taking offline? If so you have to publish it to the Transfer Repository.

http://paulslager.com/?p=572

0 Kudos
suckupper
Contributor
Contributor

Got the same problem. View 4.5. Transfer Server created as published by Paul Slager in his block. Still having the problem and I don´t have a clue what to do next.

0 Kudos
vintera
Contributor
Contributor

Besten Dank für Ihre Mitteilung

Da ich bis am 1. November 2010 abwesend bin, kann Ihre Anfrage nicht bearbeitet werden. In dringenden Fällen bitte ich Sie sich an unsere Zentrale zu wenden (Tel +41442002626 oder per Email an info@travel.ch)

Besten Dank für Ihr Verständnis

Freundliche Grüsse

Benjamin schaja

0 Kudos
PxPxger
Contributor
Contributor

I have never gotten that exact error message before but do you have any applications published to the VM using Thinapp?

0 Kudos
suckupper
Contributor
Contributor

No. I´m not using Thinapp. My View Desktop is running Win 7 x86 Enterprise without any programs installed.

0 Kudos
PxPxger
Contributor
Contributor

In that case I would guess the issue lies with the Transfer Server. Ensure the Transfer Server is working correctly. If this is a linked clone pool ensure that you have a transfer repository setup on a shared folder that you have access to. If you still need some assistance I can setup a web meeting and take a look to see if I can spot any issues.

0 Kudos
suckupper
Contributor
Contributor

Got the transfer repository setup on a shared folder (Share Permissions: Everyone: FullControl; NTFS Permissions: Everyone: FullControl). Transfer Server shows the status "ready" in View Administrator.

Your suggestion of a web meeting is very kind, but I´m not allowed to let someone anonymous from somewhere in the internet look at our infrastructure. If you were an employee of VMware, it wouldn´t be a problem. Sorry and thanks to your offer.

If you could tell me where to take a look at logfiles or something to get a clue, this would be very helpful. I could also send screenshots if this would help.

0 Kudos
PxPxger
Contributor
Contributor

Hey no problem I totally understand. Let me do some digging on my end and see I can at least provide you with some better troubleshooting steps. I have a meeting now so it might be another hour or two.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You said that the base image is published on the Transfer Server repository.

In that case I would remove and publish it again.

If the problem persists, then answer all these questions (you already answered some of them, but it's good to know the full list):

- What type of Pool? Manual, Full clone or linked clone?

- If it is a linked clone pool, has the base image being published to the Transfer Server (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1034948)

- What is the state of the individual desktop as shown in View Administrator?  Is it listed as ‘Available’ or ‘Provisioned’?

- What type of Repository are you using? Local drive on the Transfer Server or network drive?

- If it is a linked clone pool, and the package is published (assuming a network repository), make sure the share is accessible to everyone and the login information provided in the broker is correct. Is it correct?

- Can the ESX Host where the Transfer Server is running see the datastore that the desktop VM resides on?

- What is the checkout percentage shown on View client when the process fails?

- Was there any successful checkout before in this pool?

- Was there any successful checkout before on any other pool?

- What is the transfer server status on View Administrator?

- Have you tried restarting the Transfer Server service or Connection Server service?  Does the problem persist after the restart?

0 Kudos
vintera
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, thank you for your reply

- What type of Pool? Manual, Full clone or linked clone?

linked clone

- What is the state of the individual desktop as shown in View Administrator?  Is it listed as ‘Available’ or ‘Provisioned’?

Provisioned

- If it is a linked clone pool, and the package is published (assuming a network repository), make sure the share is accessible to everyone and the login information provided in the broker is correct. Is it correct?

yes

- Can the ESX Host where the Transfer Server is running see the datastore that the desktop VM resides on?

yes

- What is the checkout percentage shown on View client when the process fails?

9%

- Was there any successful checkout before in this pool?

no

- Was there any successful checkout before on any other pool?

no

- What is the transfer server status on View Administrator?

ready

- Have you tried restarting the Transfer Server service or Connection Server service?  Does the problem persist after the restart?

yes

best regards

ben

0 Kudos
PxPxger
Contributor
Contributor

I will be out of the office unitl Thursday March 3rd and will not be able to respond to email or voicemail until I get back.

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor

If possible, move the Transfer Repository folder out from the Transfer Server to a standalone server, file server for example.

Try to access the share path from the client system which you need to checkout to.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Ben,

Did you try to delete and publish the base image again?

I have added a kb regarding this on my previous post.

vintera
Contributor
Contributor

hey ruben

i actually don t know why but after i've deleted and re-published the image its working now

thank you Smiley Wink

0 Kudos