VMware Horizon Community
alipkok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem connect usb scanner Fujitsu fi-6230

Hi, im trying to connect a usb scanner(Fujitsu fi-6230).I have installed ISIS and Twain driver to host(HP Compaq 8300-Windows 7 x86) and to the vdi(Windows7 x86). The client is version 5.1 and tried either with RDP(as far as i know do not support usb scanner) or with PCoIP. The scanner is  being recognized by host , but in virtual is unrecognizable not even as unknown device.There is no restriction for usb redirection in View manager. I  uninstalled/installed Vmware  USB Host controller ,but did not work.Do i have to enable the default GPO  from DC about RDP redirection?Can you please assist, i cannot find out what is going on.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
alipkok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well thank you for the assistance.No upgrades have been made.It was a new image.A windows 7 OS was installed and been optimized according to vmware best practices. After that the appropriate vmware view agent has been installed. The same agent has been installed to another image which behavior is normal.

I found this : https://communities.vmware.com/thread/440975 I have done quickprep operation instead of sysprep.I will try the 2nd method suggested and i will let you know Message was edited by: alipkok

Following the 2nd solution the problem seems to be resolved.I reinstalled agent version 5.0.1-640055. Thank you Message was edited by: alipkok

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
nzorn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am using Fujitsu Scanners in my View environment without any issues.  Most are on Zero Clients so we only had to install the Fujitsu software on the snapshot.  A few do have some ThinClients running XP though.

I'd just verify that the software is indeed installed on both the View Snapshot and the ThinClient.

Are other USB devices working fine?  Does the scanner work on another machine?

0 Kudos
alipkok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well the same device , is recognized (to be honest i did not try to scan) using a laptop.The guest has ISIS,TWAIN drivers and scanallPro and the scanner is recogized under usb devices in the client.It is very odd

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe you are trying to forward the device using USB redirection (in RDP or PCoIP) - am I correct?

If so the scanner drivers need to be installed on the guest VM only. but, trying RDP won't make any difference here over PCoIP. The USB traffic still uses the same TCP channel between client and agent regardless of display protocol.

However, scanners are notoriously difficult to redirect using USB and often they time out. Whats the network like between client and agent? If possible can you first try on a reliable LAN wired network and try to get it working.

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
alipkok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer but let me explain.

I tried either using RDP or PCoIP. Based on :VMware KB: Troubleshooting USB redirection problems in VMware View Manager is better to use PCoIp instead of RDP. The  usb redirection is not available for these vdi's not only for scanner but for all usb devices.All devices are being recognized properly by guest. I've checked that there is no restriction for usb redirection.View manager version is 5.1.0 build-704644. I connected to another vdi from other pool and redirection was working . Do you bleieve that can be a problem with the pool or the master image?

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

when you say it isn't working - can you describe in a bit more detail:

• on the view client, (are you using windows) then do you see the USB menu, and do you see devices listed?
  • can you forward the devices to the desktop, but you find that the device does not appear in the guest desktop when you do so?
  • do you see any errors?
  • can you confirm port TCP 32111 is open
  • can you confirm that USB support was enabled in this specific pool and on the guest image? (ie the usb bits were installed as part of the agent install process, and that there is no GPO disabling USB on that pool?)

i may need to see logs to help investigate why its not working beyond that.

0 Kudos
alipkok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let me clarify:

1. Windows 7 x86. There are no devices. It says : USB redirection is not available

2.Correct.

3. What kind of errors? You mean in logs?

4. Windows firewall is disabled

5.Yes i can confirm that usb redirection is enabled to that pool.About GPO ,the only i know which is not configured is the RDP redirection from DC

When i'm connecting to another vm, of the same pool, with my credentials , i'm able see the scanner and usb devices generally.

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

"When i'm connecting to another vm, of the same pool, with my credentials , i'm able see the scanner and usb devices generally."

----- i assume that is from the same client machine... if so this means the problem is not on the client side, it is with the guest desktop.

as such I would need your debug logs from the agent to investigate further. if you want me to help can you;

1. send me the debug logs from:  %PROGRAMDATA%\VMware\VDM\logs\debug-2013-*.*   (zip em up)

2. in device manager on the guest vm, check that you can see: a VMware View Virtual USB Host Controller and a VMware View Virtual USB Hub. (If you change device manager view to "by connection" then the hub will be a child to the controller).

cheers

peterB

alipkok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes you are right, i forgot to say that i was connected from the same client.

How can i send the file?

Thanks in advance!

oK i found it ! Message was edited by: alipkok

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

so it does look like there is a problem on your agent side. I'm not sure yet what has happened to cause this. I see the following in your log;

2013-10-17T14:14:27.209+03:00 ERROR (04DC-1448) <SocketAuthenticateThread> [ws_vhub] vhublib: Failed to open virtual hub interface

2013-10-17T14:14:27.209+03:00 DEBUG (04DC-1448) <SocketAuthenticateThread> [ws_vhub] vhublib: Open handle: 00000000, status: 0x8

2013-10-17T14:14:27.209+03:00 ERROR (04DC-1448) <SocketAuthenticateThread> [ws_vhub] Failed to open virtual USB hub, status: Open hub failed

2013-10-17T14:14:27.224+03:00 ERROR (04DC-0A38) <MessageFrameWorkShare> [ws_vhub] USB not available - vhub library not initialised

I am going to ask around and see if anyone has any ideas. Can I check - have you performed any upgrade on this vm image? (eg from an earlier version of View?)

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
alipkok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well thank you for the assistance.No upgrades have been made.It was a new image.A windows 7 OS was installed and been optimized according to vmware best practices. After that the appropriate vmware view agent has been installed. The same agent has been installed to another image which behavior is normal.

I found this : https://communities.vmware.com/thread/440975 I have done quickprep operation instead of sysprep.I will try the 2nd method suggested and i will let you know Message was edited by: alipkok

Following the 2nd solution the problem seems to be resolved.I reinstalled agent version 5.0.1-640055. Thank you Message was edited by: alipkok

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

excellent news. glad you got it working in the end.

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

alipkok‌ or any one who uses Fujitsu fi-6239 scanner, how is it shown inside you VDI and which drivers are you using ?

I have problem that even with USB redirection and drivers installed the scanner name under "Devices and printers" is not Fujitsu fi-6239 but something like USB scanner.

I also tried to reinstall drivers while the scanner was connected to the VDI trough USB redirection and it is still the same. Scanner mostly works, but reports occasionaly something like "failed initialize selected paper source".

Tnx

0 Kudos