VMware Horizon Community
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem configuring nvidia grid k2

Hi,

We are setting up a system with vDGA using nvidia grid k2, but have some issues.

We have one host (Fujitsu Primergy RX2540 M1) with that card, and that esxi host ir unning the following version

View 6.0.1 build-2088845

This information is displayed within vCenter

ESXi 5.5.0 2143827

If i connecto to the ESXi "web" site it says the following version:

You are running Fujitsu Customized Image v320-1 (based on ESXi 5.5 Update 2 VMKernel Release Build 2068190)

We have checked the bios that VT-d is enabled, and if we do a "lspci" on the esxi host we get

0000:04:00.0 Display controller: nVidia Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2]

0000:05:00.0 Display controller: nVidia Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2]

We do not have a module called "vtddmar", im not sure if this is a problem ?

Since we are going to use this as vDGA we dont need to install the nvidia driver for ESXi i guess.

When i check under ESXi host>Manage>PCI Devices I have enabled both GPUs and restarted the host, the status is then "This device is available for VMs to use"

pic3.jpg

Have added the following to the vm vmx file: pciHole.start = "2048" since the VM has more than 2GB of memory, have added this to the bottom of the vmx file.

pic2.jpg

When we now try to start the VM we get the error message as seen in the image below, so my question is am i doing something wrong? Or is my hardware and ESXi versions not compatible ?

pic1.jpg

Regards Andreas
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not sure what the problem was, but created a new vm and then it worked fine, so i guess the vm was corrupt or something.

Regards Andreas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What hardware version is the vm?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Linjo

I noticed that it was version 8 right after i posted this problem, I then upgraded to version 10, but the same error occurs.

Regards Andreas
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Could you post the VMX-file? That would be helpful to figure this one out.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I had the exact problem

From horizon View admin Page choose manage using Vsphere client

and  let vCenter manage the settings in the View pool settings.

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not quite sure if this is correct configured, but it works

In vCenter I have configured the following on the VM

pastedImage_0.png

Within View pool i have configured this

pastedImage_1.png

Is this right ? When it comes to memory i have only been playing around. But why can i select memory in both cventer and view, what take precense ?

I have checked with dxdiag that the Grid K2 card is display, so i guess that its working Smiley Happy but i think the performance is not good. The optimazie the performance i have followed the pdf document

from VMware "Graphics Acceleration in View Desktops",  Optimized to 120fps, I have enabled "Disabled built-to-lossless", the vm has 8GB memory and 2 sockets 2 cores each.

Is there anything else I should look into ? For information the vms are on SSD.

Im not sure how to test this, i have only downloaded some 1080p samples, is there any simple programs (free) to check performance and with good guides ?

Regards Andreas
0 Kudos
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not sure what the problem was, but created a new vm and then it worked fine, so i guess the vm was corrupt or something.

Regards Andreas
0 Kudos