VMware Horizon Community
nigelalambert
Contributor
Contributor

Printing with local Printer on Mac Os

Hi,

Does anyone know how to set View up to map local attached printers on a Mac Os Client?

Regards

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
yuleyl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try Location-Based Printing with Mac View Client. The guide of configuration on remote desktop is http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View-ThinPrintGPOConfig-IG-EN.pdf

0 Kudos
mrossland
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think local printing is supported in the Mac client. Now that the client supports USB pass through, this feature might be coming in a future release.

0 Kudos
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We just released an update to the VMware View Client for Mac that supports USB redirection. If you install the 1.7 version you will be able to move your printer to your remote desktop. More info here: http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=2421&preview=true

0 Kudos
mlewis70
Contributor
Contributor

What if your "local" printer on your Mac is a wireless printer and does not use the local USB port.  Can the View client still redirect to the "local" printer on the Mac if it prints via a wireless connection?

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

Mike

Were you able to get your local wireless printer working on the MAC?

I have two users (one XP and one Windows7) that reported their printer doesn't show up in there pritner and devices on the virtual desktop.

I provided them with the new client and waiting to hear if it resolved their issue.

0 Kudos
mlewis70
Contributor
Contributor

Giddyup,

No not yet.  I haven't installed the Horizon version of the client yet.  I plan on doing that tonight to see if it resolves the issue.  I hope it does.  It really should be that difficult to include whatever printers are setup on the Mac regardless of what port they are using, but we will see.

Mike

0 Kudos
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

Might have the answer for you.  I had two users both trying to print to wireless from Mac book with out any luck.  My boss has a Mac book that was upgraded to OSX 10.8.3.  He did a POC at home with his wireless printer and had success ONLY after upgrading to OSX 10.8.3

Good luck!

0 Kudos
mlewis70
Contributor
Contributor

How did they setup the printer?  I did an upgrade to 10.8.3 on my iMac at home and connected with View, 1.7 client, and didn't see the printer listed.  I'm going to update the client to the new Horizon version and see what happens.  Could you post how they added the printer?

TIA

Mike

0 Kudos
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

My boss is going to take a another Mac book home and document the process he did to get wireless printing working  Smiley Happy

I'll post the detials once I get them,

0 Kudos
mlewis70
Contributor
Contributor

That would be highly appreciated Smiley Happy.  I need to get it working for my CEO's assistant(s).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

My boss removed/installed his printer from his Mac book and had no problems printing wireless :smileyconfused:.  This time he said there weren't any printer prompts like the first time he tried.  Unfortunately he doesn't know what the prompt said off the top of his head.

Were going to try another POC with a Mac book and Samsung wireless printer tomorrow morning.  I also opened a ticket with VMware to see if wirelessprinting is even supported.

From a support perspective, there are too many variables with a remote home user.  No two users have the same printer, wireless settings, ect...

Fun stuff  :smileyangry:

0 Kudos
jcosta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any update on this?  I just had a person working at home ask how to print on the vdi from her wireless printer on her mac.

0 Kudos
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

Our IT will now only do "best effort" for supporting Mac's.   Compared to Windows, out help desk received 10 times more tickets for issues with Mac's for VMware View.    NO issues with Windows wireless printing .

I started telling the help desk to ask if the MAC users also have access to a Windows desktop to test printing.   Any user who did have a Windows device was able to print without issues.

0 Kudos
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you been able to see any pattern when it doesn't work? Do you have an example of a wireless printer with issues so we can add it to our QA testbed? Thanks

0 Kudos