VMware Horizon Community
craigtompkins7
Contributor
Contributor

Printer redirection for only subset of users

We are currently running Horizon 7.12 and when everyone started working from home an executive decision was made that users connecting to Horizon from home should not be able to print at home.  We are a financial company so I agree with this.  Anyway, the CEO/Owner connected from home today and realized he can't print.  So now the challenge is to block printer redirection for most users, but allow it for a small subset of users.  I can't think of a way to do this other than to have 2 golden images/pools with the Horizon Agent set differently and entitle users based on that subset.

I hope someone call tell me I'm overlooking something simple.

TIA

Craig

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
surajr04
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the Users are part of different Security Groups and if you are using VMware integrated printing, you can mange Printer redirection via Group Policy.

Refer to VMware Integrated Printing Policy Settings

0 Kudos
craigtompkins7
Contributor
Contributor

This was a great idea, but the integrated printing GPO settings are computer based, not user based.  So while I could get away with having 1 golden image, I'd still need 2 pools so that I can have the clones in different OUs and apply the policies to each.

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Suggest you to use DEM to enable or disable VIP on a user basis. If DEM is not available for you you might have to wait for 7.13 where we have added per-user policies for VIP. 7.13 is supposed to be GA in the comming month October.

0 Kudos
craigtompkins7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this info.  We don't have DEM licensing so unfortunately that's not an option.  Glad to hear 7.13 should have user based VIP.  Does Horizon 8 have user based VIP?

0 Kudos
craigtompkins7
Contributor
Contributor

I see 7.13 has been released.  Can you confirm the per-user policy for VIP made it into the release?

0 Kudos