mreferre
Champion
Champion

Printer configurations philosophies

Jump to solution

I have always thought about VDI as a mean to simplify the distributed infrastructure using thin clients with basically no on-board configurations.

The only thing that I found to be still bound to the local thin client config is printers. Everything in a VDI deployment is typically bound to a user but printers. Printers need to be bound the the physical local device (doesn't matter whether it's a local network printer in the office or a locally attached printer by mean of LPT/COM/USB).

Printers are indeed the only thing that prevents a VDI administrator to distribute thin clients with 0 configuration but the connection broker IP address (which would be the same for all the devices).

Not sure what I am trying to achieve with this post though ... comments ? thoughts ? your experience ? I guess Steve will have something to say .......... Smiley Wink

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
20 Replies
kreischl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think that is what I was thinking of. If the Wyse terminal is connecting via RDP then I should be able to pull source IP address and if I setup my lab switches correctly then each lab switch is its own vlan and then I can install a corresponding printer...

All in theory of course. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos