VMware Horizon Community
Tattoofreak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Prevent VM from autostart

I have just installed VMware Horizon 7.6 for the first time and created a desktop pool which I put a Win10 VM (with VMware View Agent installed on it) into.

Since then the VM starts up automatically and I am not able to keep it turned off anymore. Everytime I shut it down it starts up automatically again.

Only when I shut down the connection server the VM remains turned off. So it must have something to do with the connection server.

As I am new to VMware Horizon could someone please tell me where I can find the option to prevent the VM from starting up automatically?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If the pool contains a single VM it will always be powered on even if the Remote Machine Power Policy is set to "Take no power action".

Power Policies for Desktop Pools

Note:

When you add a machine to a manual pool, Horizon 7 powers on the machine to ensure that it is fully configured, even when you select the Power off or Take no power action power policy. After Horizon Agent is configured, it is marked as Ready, and the normal power-management settings for the pool apply.

For manual pools with machines that are managed by vCenter Server, Horizon 7 ensures that a spare machine is powered on so that users can connect to it. The spare machine is powered on no matter which power policy is in effect.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

What remote machine power setting did you configured when creating the desktop pool?

While editing the desktop pool, select tab "desktop pool"

Remote Machine Power Policy: changed it to "take no power action"

Greetz,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Tattoofreak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Kevin

That's exactly the setting I have configured, double checked it but the VM is starting anyway.

Could it be it has something to do with the VMware Horizon Agent Direct Connection I have installed in addition to the VMware Horizon Agent?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Why do you have both installed, most of the time its one or the other? I'd remove the direct connection and test again.

0 Kudos
Tattoofreak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Because I was not able to install the Direct Connection as standalone. When I wanted to the installer gave an error message which said I have to install it on top of the VMware Agent.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its been awhile since I used it, I could swear they were separate and isolated installers. If you want this VM to be isolated from the conneciton server I think if you uninstall the vmware agent and when you reinstall make sure the composer and instant clone components are disabled that should prevent it from automatically connecting to the connection server. Without those I think it asks you to register to a connection server, see if you can skip that part if thats the case.

Try this reference as well, I've followed some of his articles with good luck

https://www.carlstalhood.com/vmware-horizon-7-master-virtual-desktop/#direct

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If the pool contains a single VM it will always be powered on even if the Remote Machine Power Policy is set to "Take no power action".

Power Policies for Desktop Pools

Note:

When you add a machine to a manual pool, Horizon 7 powers on the machine to ensure that it is fully configured, even when you select the Power off or Take no power action power policy. After Horizon Agent is configured, it is marked as Ready, and the normal power-management settings for the pool apply.

For manual pools with machines that are managed by vCenter Server, Horizon 7 ensures that a spare machine is powered on so that users can connect to it. The spare machine is powered on no matter which power policy is in effect.