VMware Horizon Community
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Powershell Script for Snapshot

We are using VMware View to assign XP Desktops via a persistent pool to a number of developers & testers. Once these users have finalised their activities they need the ability to regress their XP desktop to the original image (i.e. to commence next bit of development work). Unfortunately, there is nothing built-in the "View" product to provide users the permission to regress to an original image (unless using off-line desktops, which we are not).

If access is provided to "View Admin" users can regress to a previous image, but we don't want to do provide access to "View Admin". Neither do we want to provide access to "VirtualCenter" for any snapshots.

I'd like to ask whether anyone has written or know of a script that can snapshot a XP Desktop, when initially assigned to a specific user via VMware View? Or can provide a script that allows a user to snapshot their desktop? With regards to the latter we would like a method of allowing the user to define the snapshot name and take no more than 2 snapshots for a specific VM.

Similarly, a script is required to allow the user to regress their laptop to previous snapshot. Ideally, before regressing the snapshot a confirmation prompt would be handy after selecting the appropriate snapshot to regress.

Does this requirement sound feasible and has anyone previously implemented? Any alternative strategies/ideas also welcome.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
acampos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

This not possible with View by its design of the pool the user does not have access to the desktop pool vm's to do any extra snapshots on their assigned desktop then begin to use that new snapshot and later revert.

You may want to look at Lab manager product or simply give the users vm object level permission access in Virtual Center to their vm's to create/delete snapshots.

If role/permission in VC is done corrrectly for their username they can use the VI client to access VC but will only see their vm to which they have permission to manipulate.

Hope that helps.

Alex

joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Alex, I'll take a look at Lab Manager to evaluate whether it accomodates the requirements, however, we weren't looking to spend additional money for VMware tools.

In line with this, I've provided users permissions to snapshot the VM and then within the VDI desktop included a script that allows the snapshot to take place and likewise to regress the snapshot. I'm currently toying with this concept.

Cheers

0 Kudos