VMware Horizon Community
CurtisC
Contributor
Contributor

Power off when not in use "Does not work"

We have created a persistent pool with the following settings

When VM is not in use: Power off when not in use

Automatic logoff after disconnect: After 5 minute(s)

Refresh OS disk on logoff: Always

What we were hoping to see is that once the user logs off the desktop powers off until the user logs back into it. Yet this is not occuring, the desktop appears to be powering it self back on. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?

We are running VMware View Administrator 4.0.1 build-233023

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Are these desktops already associated with a user? I have seen in the past where a non associated VM in a persistant pool would remain on even after enabling the option to always power off when VM is not in use. This was on a reg pool and not a linked clone pool.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
CurtisC
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response. Yes these desktops are already associated with a user.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, I may have found something. Look at page 180 of the admin guide for view 4, http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view40_admin_guide.pdf. It states that for persistent automated pools the policy is only applied to unassigned desktops.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
CurtisC
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response. I have tried to correlate that information with the those VM's that are not assigned to a user. I have logged on to those VM's that have not been assigned to a user through the VIC and shut them down, put a few minutes later they power back on. It's definitely a strange issue.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

That could be because the unassigned users computers are less than the specified number of desktops that should be available thus it wants to keep them all online. Just a guess on my part.

Zulan
Contributor
Contributor

I was experinacing the same thing. It turned out one ov my clients wasnt assigned to a user. I lowered my amount of clients so all my clients was assigned to a user and now atleast it doesnt mysteriously turn it self on. If it actually turn it self off isnt verified yet.

0 Kudos