VMware Horizon Community
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Poor video playback

Windows 10, 1803 Esx 6.7 Having poor/choppy playback when playing a .mp4 video using Windows media player on 10. Works fine on Windows 7. Doesnt seem to be a horizon issue as I can replicate the issue with a plain vanilla VM with VMtools installed. Increasing vram to 128, 3d render enable/disable doesnt seem to make any difference. Seems to work better when using the "photos" app. Anyone seeing this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mouraMXmouraMX
Contributor
Contributor

Hey bjohn,

Probably is missing some codecs for WMP.

Have you tried to play a different video format? wmv, avi, etc?

As a test ,you can try to reset the WMP settings and install a codec pack.

I'd suggest you to install a VLC Player, I've been using it in my customers when video player is required, is fast and stable.

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Happens with more than one video. Same issue with VLC. It works OK when playing in the "photos" app. You have no issues with .mp4 and windows media player?

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
mouraMXmouraMX
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

No issues at all.

I'm using 1803 July CU Updates and VMware Tools 10.3.10, with all Horizon Agents.

Have you checked the Horizon Performance Tracker?

Are you connected using UDP? Do you have available bandwidth?

Because using a 4G/LTE connection, with TCP, it might struggle a little bit to play.

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I spun up a VM with the original 1803 ISO, installed 10.3.5, choppy, upgraded to 10.3.10, same issue. I have the issue when playing the video in VMRC, even before horizon involvement. I'm on VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 13644319 and Version 6.7.0 Build 13843469

0 Kudos