VMware Horizon Community
hellraiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Poor performance with View 7.0.1 and Dell Wyse D50D Linux thin clients

Hi,

In the process of creating a Horizon infrastructure, using an Atlantis hyperconverged solution for the backend (seriously quick!), Horizon View 7.0.1 and Dell Wyse D50D SUSE 11 Linux based thin clients. Now, here's where it gets weird...

Initially threw together a PoC using View 6.2 and a spare ESX host, got this working fine. We used Dell D10DP thin clients (running Dell's proprietary ThinOS operating system), and performance was great. Problem is we have a need for a UC solution, and as we're stuck with an Avaya system, we needed something to run Avaya VDI communicator on the endpoint. Enter the D50D - Suse Linux 11 based, and using the SP2-compatible version of VDI Communicator, it worked fine. Video performance was quite acceptable, so a decision was made to use these units.

Fast forward to our live system running View 7.0.1 and whilst the ThinOS units continue to give excellent performance (now they're upgraded to a Horizon 7 compatible firmware), the Linux D50D units are just *awful*. Firmware was upgraded to 11.3.106.01 (SP3) as a later Horizon client was needed and whilst this connects, performance is laggy. Moving windows is a stuttery, juddery process, the mouse pointer frequently disappears when you go over a text box and there is a noticeable delay before it re-appears. Running a YouTube video we get tearing and lag, and woe betide us if we move the mouse over the video - nine times out of ten the video stops and then continues a second or so later.

I've set up a ThinOS unit next to a Linux one to demonstrate the issues and the difference is like night and day, the ThinOS unit runs beautifully but as it doesn't support our UC solution, it's a non-starter. We've spoken to Dell, applied all the add-ons available, updated video driver on the client etc to no avail and we're now at the point where Dell seems to be particularly slow at responding with any kind of update. Anyone had any issues like this with the Linux Wyse clients? I'm sorely tempted to switch to the Windows 7 embedded units as they will support anything, but then we have all the admin headache of an additional several hundred Windows based units in the field, along with the associated higher purchase price of the units.

Help!

JD

JD
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jaco_Siegert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Hellraiser,

You gave a very accurate description of my problem.

At my company I've noticed the exact problem, with a sluggish mouse, and slow video on the D50D with SLETC 11.3..

Did you ever got a solution from Dell on this? Or are you still working on this problem?

If you like, I do have a work around, re-imaging the D50D to D90DW (WES XP).

My problem in this work around is that I lose PCoIP, ans RDP is not very good working on multiple monitors.

Jaco.

0 Kudos
hellraiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jaco,

The only real fix we had was to get Dell to take the D50D units back and replace with the new 3030LT units at no cost Smiley Happy  They did provide us with a copy of the view client for the SP2 firmware which worked with View 7 and performance was much improved, but as the D50D was EOL, there was going to be no further development.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if it makes things any better, the 3030 units are *really* good Smiley Happy

JD

JD
0 Kudos
TruSupport
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I have exactly the same problem as you described... spent days trying to figure out why D50D linux thin clients are slow... Tried newest OS version, older version but was still experiences slowness. I have ugraded my infrastructure from Horizon 6 to 7 to prepare for Windows 10 migration. Wyse D50D clients were running one of the first OS and had very old view client version 1.7. Obviously I could not connect to Horizon 7, therefore, decided to upgrade to Suse 11.3 SP3 to be compatible but got stuck at this slowness issue... Not sure what to do...

Do you know how to upgrade only vmware client addons to the slightly newer version? Which SP2 compatible view client did you use?

Thanks

0 Kudos