VMware Horizon Community
paradox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pools with Profiles not keeping settings after refresh

Hi All,

I have a pool with profiles stored on 😧 drive. I have verified that files written to the desktop are written to 😧

After a refresh the profile is 'refreshed' also. The system acts like its the first time the user has logged on. Desktop, outlook etc.

Can anybody offer any advice?

Profile is stored on the same VMFS.

cheers

Daniel

0 Kudos
9 Replies
paradox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update: Profile disk remains intact, when reviewing d:\documents and Settings I can see that a new profile is created after each refresh.

e.g.

Old profile content is still present on the disk but user is dropped to a new profile.

Can anybody help me resolve this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Quite strange. What version of View are you running?

/H

0 Kudos
paradox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 4 and composer 2.

I did some reading and people mentioned the issue was around having the profile on the base image. However last step we did before creating the pool was to delete the account we had been using with administrator.

Cheers

Dan

0 Kudos
EGRAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same issue with my profiles in a test Linked Clone pool using View 4 as well.

When I recompose or refresh and log back in a new user profile is generated.

The profiles are being redirected, that isn't the issue. I can navigate to redirected disk and the see old profile and view the "testfolder" directory I created on the desktop within the older profile.

The profiles created are;

username

username.domain

username.domain.000

I can confirm my user account did not have a profile on the base image and I also ran CCleaner prior to creating my base snapshot.

Did you find a resolution for your issue?

0 Kudos
paradox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately I didn't find the solution. I did however find the cause, in a vague fashion.

A Base machine built Clean (XP) did not have the issue,

A Base machine built clean (W7) did not have the issue,

An P2V'd SOE PC did have the issue.

So it looks like its a straight up and down build issue, not a View issue as such. However I have no idea why the issue occurred with this machine or how to correct it.

Dan

0 Kudos
peter_sundelin
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried to reinstall the view agent?

I have found that reinstalling the agent as the last step before creating a pool usually gives a working image.

And restart the vm 2 times after you have reinstalled the agent.

0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Hej Peter!

Yes, I can bet I saw a best practices document that said that the View Agent should always be installed (or reinstalled) last as there may be registry settings that have been altered that can interfere with the Agents functions.

/Henrik

0 Kudos
HaM1
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have roaming profiles?

I had the same issue and solved it by deleting vmhgfs entry in the registry.

HKLM>System>Current Control Set --> Control --> Network Provider --> Order

And within the provider Order, i deleted the vmhgfs entry. After this, the romaing profiles went well and I had no double or triple created profiles.

Sebastian

0 Kudos
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am having this exact same problem. Did any of the above posts fix the problem? Has anyone else found a fix for this type of problem?

Edit- I just checked the 😧 drive of the VM, and my profile is not being created on 😧 instead it is being created on C:. What would I need to change for it be dropped to the correct location?

Thanks!

Blog: www.virtualizationbuster.com

Twitter: s1xth

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos