VMware Horizon Community
unclefab
Contributor
Contributor

Pool type and Admin access for VDM 2

Hi all

I'm still using VDM 2 and get 2 requests from my Desktop team here :

1. I 've configured 1 Desktop pool with 10 workstations, the Pool type is non-persistent. Now they would like to update it to Persistent pool, is it technically feasible ? I tried to edit the pool, but the DEsktop pool type is in grey. I did not try to disable the provisioning before the update.

2 . Any options to give a Read only access to the Admin VDM Web console ? Desktop support would need to be able to check the active sessions and users attached to each.

Many thanks !

Fabien

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Fabien,

because it is not supported to edit the VDM database, I would create a new pool and use the same image as in the non-pers. pool.

1.) Clone a tempalte from the non-pers. pool desktop

2.) Create a new pool as persistent and use the template

This is the easiest way.

So, you ensure that the user in the persitent pool has a really fresh machine! Maybe the users from the non-persistent pool have accidently saved data on the vm.

In the View Admin there is only one access rule at the moment and this is admin.

Thanks,

Christoph

unclefab
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

Another way is to to create Individual desktop pool and link to each exisiting workstations ?

But I can't see benefits to use VDM with Individual desktop ...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

An individual desktop is a desktop created manually and added to the View Manager. A persistent pool contains desktops automatically created by View Manager... this saves time and administration.

It depends on what you want to do ... If you have loads of similar desktops you should go for the persistent pool.

If you have unique machines or want to migrate physicals go for the individual one.

Thanks,

Christoph

0 Kudos