VMware Horizon Community
alecprior
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pool Empty

I'm running the trial version of VDM against another trial setup of VI3.5.

Whenever i try to connect to a powered on VM desktop (of any pool type) i get a "desktop not available" message on the client (Web, windows, and Wyse all the same), and the VDM server logs a message of POOL_EMPTY. Waking VMs from Power off or suspend works fine. I can RDP to the waiting XP VMs individually with no problems.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Belive it or not I have seen a case where a reboot actually did not help. As odd as it sounds only restarting the agent helped. In this case the agent was a older beta build trying to talk to the fianal release of VDM.

If you have no name resolution issues, you might want to uninstall/reinstall the agent on a VM. If that resolves it something may have gone wrong with the agent install on the template.

WP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can you confirm that you have installed the VDM Agent on the Desktop VM?

Jon

alecprior
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep, agent installed on the template that all the VMs were deployed from.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do they report inside VDM? Does the pool show the number of VMs?

Were these created from a template?

From a VM try and stop and start the VDM Agent service and try again.

WP

0 Kudos
alecprior
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Haven't tried restarting the agent, but reboots don't solve it. I did get it to work and connect to a powered on machine when directly mapped, but not consistently. Pooled VMs still were not working.

I'm not in the process of rebuilding teh 2003 VDM server, as it was reused from another project, to rule out any oddness on that front.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Belive it or not I have seen a case where a reboot actually did not help. As odd as it sounds only restarting the agent helped. In this case the agent was a older beta build trying to talk to the fianal release of VDM.

If you have no name resolution issues, you might want to uninstall/reinstall the agent on a VM. If that resolves it something may have gone wrong with the agent install on the template.

WP

0 Kudos
alecprior
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here begins and ends the lesson on why you should never rely on someone else to build your XP VM templates for you. Went to restart the agent service and couldn't find it in the list.....you can guess the rest.

LeoStream agent was installed and working fine though :_|

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yea, but the good part is you are on the right path now....

WP

0 Kudos
killjoy1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have this same problem, but I have the agent installed and running. I reinstalled it and have stopped and started the services. It gives me the same error as above and I get the same event in the VDM server. I can rdp straight into the box though. Other things to try? It says "The desktop has failed to open. The desktop is not available."

0 Kudos
Adam_Oliver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm getting this also. I set the non-persistent pool to suspend when a VM is not in use. If I try to connect and the VMs are suspended I am told the pool is empty. About a minute later, after the VM has powered back up, I can connect. I would think VDM should be able to detect the VM it wants to use is supsended and wait for it to power up instead of claiming the pool is empty.

What I'm finding strange is that I'm getting messages about the Pool being empty with multiple machines in the Pool being powered up in VC and all VMs show ready in the Inventory. So for some reason VDM says they are ready but then thinks the pool is empty. On some occasions I will also have a desktop open and VDM will show no active sessions.

0 Kudos