VMware Horizon Community
twrangham
Contributor
Contributor

Pool Design Question

Wondering everyone's thoughts about a question around template/pool design. Typically I have created a new template per View pool and recomposed using the template's own snapshots. Since storage is typically available and not an issue this has worked ok, just more templates to manage.

Recently I have been "thinking" about instead re-using the templates and building the different pools from snapshots. Anyone doing the latter, and any pitfalls or things to watch out for besides what I would see as a "whoops" factor of assigning the wrong snapshot to a pool?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rooster147
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using composer linked clone desktops?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We have done this before and honestly I felt like it was a hassle but I also feel like having multiple templates would be the same way.    We have been able to solidify on one snapshot and then, when needed, provide other applications via SCCM or ThinApp.    It's honestly made template/golden image updates much more simple. 

0 Kudos
twrangham
Contributor
Contributor

rooster147:

Yes, they are all linked clones. Mostly floating, but a couple dedicated as well

mittim12:

Thanks for the feedback! I tend to lean more like you mentioned, where only updating the golden image for Windows/System Updates, and delivering all apps using 3rd party tools.

I think with Horizon/View, its important never to say always...

0 Kudos
rooster147
Contributor
Contributor

My organization uses all composer linked clones for our 8 different desktop pools. We do not thin app any of our software so everything is installed in the master image which has led us to have a golden image for each use case. The only time I have been able to reuse a master image is one use case where the software is the same as another pool the only thing that is different is a few reg keys. In that situation I will reuse the master image and just change the reg keys and then snap it a 2nd time. This works well but it does add extra management.

0 Kudos