VMware Horizon Community
vmwarelicense12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Play youtube in VMware Horizon vdi desktop

We have installed vdi, and it is up and running.

When I log into a vdi desktop, and play youtube, it is lagging very much.

So... is it because i HAVE to install a physical GPU in our ESXi server, or is it because I have configured it wrong?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What protocol are you using to connect? PCoIP or blast.

0 Kudos
wuhlig
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Most times it's because you've not run optimization on your golden image as outlined here: 
Creating an Optimized Windows Image for a VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop | VMware

And given the VM enough Video memory to work with before you took your SNAP shot.  Might add some addition 3D memory as well.

pastedImage_2.png

Hope this helps.

NVIDIA GRID cards take a lot of the work off the server CPU and I would suggest them.

bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does Enabling 3D graphics really allow better YouTube playback?

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Of course. GPU will render graphics much faster and more efficiently than having only CPU. Hence the pixels and video performance will be much better when you will use graphics card.

You can combine GPU with PCoIP and blast settings to adjust video performance, frame rate based on your available network bandwidth. You can also set a pcoip bandwidth floor to make sure this much amount of bandwidth is always reserved for your desktop session.

PCoIP settings:

PCoIP Bandwidth Settings

PCoIP General Settings

pastedImage_2.png

Blast settings:

VMware Blast Policy Settings

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
RoderikdeBlock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could also consider to use HTML5MultiMediaRedirection.

With HTML5 Multimedia Redirection, if an end user uses the Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browser in a remote desktop, HTML5 multimedia content is sent to the client system, which reduces the load on the ESXi host. The client system plays the multimedia content and the user has a better audio and video experience.

Configuring HTML5 Multimedia Redirection

https://arnomeijroos.com/2019/05/07/configuring-vmware-horizon-html5-multimedia-redirection/

Roderik de Block

Blog: https://roderikdeblock.com
PaulMurphyCO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I experienced something similar. In our case video performance was choppy, the Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) was using a lot of memory, especially when watching video in Chrome, causing dwm to eventually crash. To resolve it, on the parent vm I had to make sure the page file size was set to larger than the physical memory size, and on the linked clone pool that the disposable file disk size was set larger than the page file size.

Record the Paging File Size of a View Composer Parent Virtual Machine