VMware Horizon Community
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Physical Device receives same virtual desktop regardless of user

I need a PC at a call center to always get the same virtual desktop regardless of who logs in. I know this can be done via Kiosk mode but I need the user to login with their domain credentials for security reasons. I can't just use persistent assignment since there is more than one shift so there will be differing users at the devices. Is there anyway to tell the client to always get the same Virtual Desktop or is there a way to assign a specific virtual desktop to specific physical device? Thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated.

J

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

in a simple way make the thin client or the end-user Horizon client connect directly to virtual desktop by DNS name or IP  (instead of connection broker)and be sure the direct-client agent installed in the vDeskrop or in the gold image, this way this device always will go to the same vDesktop 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ideally you could use Horizon View Tags but they only go to the Pool level and not desktop.

I know everyone doesn't like Pool Scope Creep but....you may just need to create a View Pool for one desktop. Set it to refresh on logoff and you should be good.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

in a simple way make the thin client or the end-user Horizon client connect directly to virtual desktop by DNS name or IP  (instead of connection broker)and be sure the direct-client agent installed in the vDeskrop or in the gold image, this way this device always will go to the same vDesktop 

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I had thought of this but having a 150 desktop pools is not optimal for recomposing. That was my last ditch solution.

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just to verify, is this a single physical client used by many users?

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes it will be a single physical PC used by separate individuals. I think the direct connect agent will work, I will just have to prepopulate the reg key so the end users always go to the same machine from the local client..

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Do you happen to know what License level of Horizon View you need to purchase to utilize the Direct Connect Agent?

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

After reviewing the direct connection agent more closely I think this will do the job as I can pre-install a reg key on the physical device so that the end user gets the same virtual desktop each and every time and by setting auto-connect they should not be able to mess it up.

0 Kudos