VMware Horizon Community
JohnVUB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Petition towards a Linux View Agent - Sign/drop a line if interested!!

In this community you can find a couple of threads where people are asking the development of a View Linux agent.

This agent would make the option of a linux desktop pool in View manager available.

I understand this is not as easy as it sounds, there are many linux distro's and technical difficulties to achieve this goal.

On top of that, if we ever get this agent, we will expect it to works as good as the Windows version, have PCOIP and USB redirection, ...

Therefor I would like to make a suggestion to VMware to develop a virtual appliance where one or two of the most used linux distro's are prepared by VMware. Limited support is acceptable if you tampered with the virtual appliance and broke the view addon. In my opinion Ubuntu LTS is a strong candidate to have such a virtual appliance.

I ask everyone who would like to see this suggestion developed to drop a line in this thread  AND sign the petition.

"I second the request" would be enough to let VMware know how many of you are out there requesting this feature.

SPREAD THE WORD AND SIGN!!

http://www.change.org/petitions/view-development-department-development-of-a-view-desktop-agent-for-...

View-petition.jpg

0 Kudos
40 Replies
mothymon77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dont get why we need 2500 signatures, if VMware folks would look at the posts for the petition you can see thousands of "desktiops" that would be deployed by organizations if this was available, they should see that thousands of LICENSES are to be sold if its released, just doesnt make sense the way the are posting the petition.

COME ON VMWARE this is ridiculous, how are organizations going to save money on VDI if they are still tied to MS for licensing costs!!

Tim

0 Kudos
MrSmithGTW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sign!

Why give my money to Microsoft, when I can give it to VMware Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mark_curtis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sign!

The Public Sector (minor IT users Smiley Wink) are being encouraged to make greater use to FLOSS so there's an opportunity for better support.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Plus one for the View Agent for Linux.  I have many clients that would user this as a solution, couple that with the VIew Agent for Mac and we are good to go.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
sabreofsd2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just signed this.  I hope it gets more attention...

0 Kudos
Lewis00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will through my hat in for this as well. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
broach01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes!
This needs to happen sooner than later.

0 Kudos
BL460c
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

not wrong, would open up alot of possibilities

0 Kudos
EduMelo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cannot believe that this is not already done.

0 Kudos
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Signed. A View agent for Linux/Ubuntu would be very useful.

0 Kudos
ftiadmin049
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would be awesome!

Faster!

0 Kudos
snantel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We just got a meeting with Microsoft...

All the money the are asked just to give us the possibility to move our physical desktop to vmware view is a no sense.

Can't wait to have this agent so I can migrate my users to Redhat Enterprise Desktop or Google OS or anything else than Microsoft. !

We are currently stopping down our deployment of VMware View. Everything frozen !

0 Kudos
billfleury2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's ridiculous that this is not supported yet - VMware - Please announce your plans to develop either a linux desktop appliance that a pool can be based off, or a View agent for Linux!!

0 Kudos
egarcia_ietec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Signed,,,, is necesary

0 Kudos
akeggpowell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

agent for linux and osx would be mind blowing

0 Kudos
virtualester
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I second the request

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

+1 ... actually there has been a new feature called "Graphic Acceleration for Linux Guests" in vSphere 5.5, but how can one utilize it, if don't have a Linux View Agent?

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos
milesmcever
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You've got my Herbie Hancock, this is much needed.

0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We need it!!!

please VMware come on, it's time for a revolution!!!

+1 Petition

0 Kudos
JohnVUB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed, it really takes too long!! This post is getting old!!

Keep signing the petetion: http://www.change.org/petitions/vmware-development-of-a-view-desktop-agent-for-linux

0 Kudos