VMware Horizon Community
Lewis00
Contributor
Contributor

Persona and Windows Roaming Profiles

I am looking for some deployment ideas\models for our Persona implementation and would like to know how some of you tackled this one.

My director just got back from VMworld where he spoke with several others that stated they leveraged Windows Roaming profiles and Persona to better the end user's experience. This lead me to my question.

Currently I am leveraging Persona to control our user's Desktop folder, Registry Hive, and Roaming folder. I then have their other folders managed via Windows Folder Redirection to the same directory. 

My thought is that they utilized Persona for View and Roaming Profiles for full desktops, but I wonder if there is any benefit or reason to utilize both in some manner on a View desktop.

Thank you for taking time to read this and any thoughts are welcome.

-Tanner

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Don't do both.  The idea is to use persona management tools such as VMware's persona management or something like ProfileUnity to do non-persistent floating desktops.  You then delete, refresh, and recompose the desktops without the need to worry about killing the users data or documents, etc.  You can even have user installed applications follow the users with something like ProfileUnity.  Then you don't have to patch the desktops you have.  I haven't had much luck with Roaming Profiles.  They usually kill the performance of a virtual desktop because they have to copy the users profile on logon every time.  With a persona management tool you can chose which parts of the persona you want to keep to reduce the login delay and bloat of the profile.

Try our VMWare View Demo on www.virtualdojo.com
0 Kudos
Lewis00
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the information.

-Tanner

0 Kudos