VMware Horizon Community
HeineD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Persona Management support for 2008 R2 SP1 in Horizon View.

Hi,

We are running VMware Horizon View 5.3.2 with Premier licensing, and we are still waiting for Persona Management Support for Windows 2008R2 SP1 and Win8.1 desktops.

It's kind of annoying, since VMware Horizon (with View) has been supporting this for over two months in the 6.0 release, while Vmware Horizon View still don't support it.

We cannot migrate our virtual desktops to 2008R2 until Persona Management is supported, and we have been waiting for quite some time.

Anyone know if this is going to be supported in the near future?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't heard of it in the pipeline in terms of backporting, but that doesn't mean it isn't in the plan. I'll forward a link to this conversation to some people who would know and if they can say hopefully they'll add some color. I would imagine you'll not see 81. support backport, but persona possibly.

---- Jack McMichael | Sr. Systems Engineer VMware End User Computing Contact me on Twitter @jackwmc4
0 Kudos
ErikTatum10
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your patience and sorry for the confusion.  Support for W2K8 as a desktop and Windows 8.1 was added in Horizon 6.0.  Other than bug fixes, these were the primary features added in this release for Persona.

Thanks,

Erik

0 Kudos
HeineD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to clear up any misunderstanding - we are using VMware Horizon View, and the current version is still 5.3.2.

Vmware Horizon (With View) on the other hand,  is on version 6.0, and is supporting Persona Management on 2008 and 8.1.

Vmware Horizon View is not supporting it in the current version, and herein lies my problem.

There is no need for backporting, it simply is not supported yet in this product.

There seems to be a understanding that all View implementations can use 6.0, but that is not the case.

If I am wrong in that assumption, please enlighten me...

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

we added server2008r2 as a desktop support as well as win8.1 support as a new feature in Horizon 6.0.

this wasn't just a "qualification" exercise and required an amount of development work to make it so.

typically new features do not get back ported into other releases. But, I understand your issue. I will talk to some folks here and see if there are any plans to do so.

either I or someone else will post back on the subject soon,

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi HeineD,

At present this capability is available in Horizon 6.0. At present there are no plans to backport it to a previous version of the product as it is a full blown feature that requires multiple changes. As a View 5.3.2 customer with a valid Support and Subscription agreement, you are entitled to upgrade  from View 5.3.2 to Horizon 6. You will be able to use the feature once you are Horizon 6. Is there a reason why you are not able to upgrade to Horizon 6?
Do let us know and we will be able to help you further.

Regards,
Narasimha

0 Kudos