VMware Horizon Community
JugOfTuiPlease
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Persona Management - Logon benchmarks

Hi all,

I've just set up a brand new network including a View 5.1 environment with Persona Management, and Win 7 x64 linked clones in a floating pool.

Everything is humming along, but the Windows 7 Welcome screen stays up for ~22 seconds before going through to the desktop.

I'm using McAfee MOVE Agentless Endpoint for AV and have NOT set a solid color desktop background on the VMs (which other long logon threads have implied are issues).

Is 22 seconds normal for a persona management logon to a floating VM desktop?

Am I running arounf troubleshooting for nothing?

What are your logon times like for PM users logging onto floating pools.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Chad09
Contributor
Contributor

22 seconds, in my opinion, seems pretty good.

I counted 38 seconds for my first logon. I have quite a bit of data in my profile.

I originally had a few minutes logon time because I had a few GB of files in my downloads directory, I also has my outlook OST file which was not excluded from the profile. Excluding that helped a lot, obviously. I will probably be looking into excluding more files/folders.

0 Kudos
auhank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I quizzed a vmware tech rep on this recently, and he insisted that 5 (five) seconds is a reasonable target.  The context is first login on a destroy- or refresh- on-logout linked-clone pool, and does not include initial creation of the profile area.  Group policy processing is assumed to be minimal or none, with persona configured as local policy.

We might get 15 seconds in this scenario with 2.5GHz AMD and SSD storage with 32-bit win7 desktops.  Further, our environment likely cannot live without folder redirect for some areas (e.g., Documents), and combining persona with folder redirect reduces some of the advantages of persona over roaming with folder redirect.

I'd love to hear how to get 5-second logins in this scenario.

JugOfTuiPlease
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exactly,

I'd really like to know if 5 seconds is realistic (for logon to refreshed linked clone using PM) or just VMware Sales overhype, as I am spending time troubleshooting this.

0 Kudos
oreoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Jug,

Try putting on verbose login something else might be delaying your boot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906485/en-us

the 5 seconds is measured from what to what?

We also have Moveav agentless deployed and are using windows XP linked clones in a floating desktop pool,

the login generally takes around 30 seconds from the ctrl+alt+del to login screen to single signon login to a usable desktop

but it has many dependency's

Policy's

startup programs

I/O to SAN

CPU allocation

Memory allocation

etc etc

id say if you can get it around 22 seconds to a functional desktop thats pretty fair Smiley Happy

JugOfTuiPlease
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks oreoo,

I think in a round-about kind of way you've hit the nail on the head!

It's all about the user's perception of a fast logon!!

22 seconds (from what you guys have said) is pretty fair, but having the Win 7 WELCOME screen sit there for 22 seconds seems to take ages.

I enabled VerboseStatus (see below URL) and now several different logon status messages appear during that 22 seconds, making it seem faster! Win.

By the way, the View Persona Management message only flashes up for a milisecond. Smiley Wink

Thanks! I'm now far more comfortable about being ready to deploy this beast.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-disable-verbose-startup-shutdown-logon-logoff-status-messages-in-...

0 Kudos