VMware Horizon Community
Rufat777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Persona Management 6 sync issue

Hi all. After upgrading to Horizon View 6 and recomposing desktop pool users get 0 KB files of all types. However, on a file share files are ok.

If I copy files to desktop from a file share after a few days or after a first log off users again get 0 KB files. Where can I must start my investigation?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BUTCO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If your using Windows Server 2012 for the share of the persona's directory, make sure you exclude or turn off data deduplication. At least that was what fixed it for me. If you do have deduplication enabled, there are a few commands you need to run before disabling deduplication to "undupe" the data.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is a logging section in this KB, VMware KB: Troubleshooting Persona Management .    That should be a good place to start. 

0 Kudos
BUTCO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you get anywhere with this? I've come across this lately myself. I've checked the logs on the VM and I don't see any errors. I can copy the file from the persona to the desktop and it will work until the next logoff.

0 Kudos
DavidTa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem with Horizon View Persona Management and 6. I find certain files on multiple profiles with size 0 Kb but with the right date. On the server, the size is good.

This occurs simultaneously on multiple profiles about every week or every 15 days, the files remain empty even reopening the session and changing VM.

Then I have to copy the files on the profile through a network share. It's very penalizing.

Does anyone have a solution?

0 Kudos
BUTCO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If your using Windows Server 2012 for the share of the persona's directory, make sure you exclude or turn off data deduplication. At least that was what fixed it for me. If you do have deduplication enabled, there are a few commands you need to run before disabling deduplication to "undupe" the data.

DavidTa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your quick response. I disabled deduplication yesterday in desperation! But I do not have "undupe" the data. I'll look how to do it.

0 Kudos
Jarryd_Sullivan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm we are having this issue too, running Horizon 6.0.0 with View Persona Management with profiles stored on a 2012 R2 file server that has the share being deduped.

I am going to organise an exclusion for the horizon profiles and "undupe" the data to see if this resolves the issue as BUTCO said.

Will report back, if successful I will also log a case with VMWare.

0 Kudos
DavidTa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For me, it's ok since I disabled the dedup and I reduplicated with the powershell command "start-dedupjob -type unoptimization -volume e"

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Jarryd_Sullivan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well over the last 24 hours I have had all sorts of issues with persona management. I decided that rather than messing around with dedupe and inflating the data, I would just switch to using the Windows built in roaming profiles and disable persona management.

Working perfectly, probably won't go back to using persona management again.

0 Kudos
ErikTatum10
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I am sorry to hear you had so many issues with Persona.  If you would reconsider Persona, we'd be happy to work with you to resolve the issues.

Thanks,

Erik

0 Kudos
Jarryd_Sullivan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Erik,

Apologies for the delay, I am willing to work with you guys to sort it out. Please contact me via e-mail with what info I can provide to assist in reproducing the issues I am having with view persona + deduped volumes in 2012/2012R2.

0 Kudos
ErikTatum10
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately at this time, we have no version of Persona that supports W2K12 dedup.  However, the best way for that to happen is for you to open a support request with VMware GSS.  Other customers have been requesting support for this, but opening an SR is like casing your vote.

If you can please reproduce the issue with debug level logging enabled in Persona and provide the log bundle to GSS, that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Erik

0 Kudos