Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Persona 6.2 works only for profile creation

Hello,

I'm trying to use View Persona 6.2 with this environnement :

Floating View 6.2 pool, with Windows 8.1 x64 ent. OS

VMs are in a domain

File server is 2012R2 (no DFS... simple share.)

no antivirus in VM

a GPO configures View persona profile redirection to \\ISC-SRV-PERS01\Profils\%username% and View persona folder redirections to another file server (desktop, my documents, ...)

When I first log into a VM, the profile is successfully created on the filer (\\ISC-SRV-PERS01\Profils\login.V2) and everything looks OK... (I'm the owner of the profile folder, etc..)

BUT : if i log into another VM :

- after a recompose or

- after logoff / then login in on another VM.. because i'ts floating pool or

- in another VM in another Pool with same configuration (pre-production)

THEN :

- login takes ages..

- I finally got the Windows desktop, with a "You're loged in a temporary profile" tip balloon

- I clearly don't have my profile...

- but folder redirections are OK (my documents, desktop, music, ..)

i'm missing the point.... (I used persona a lot with previous version without these problems..)

please help..

(VMWVM logs attached..)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SLELEU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok. I think it's OK now.

I removed the "Files and Folders excluded from roaming" GPO (I had "Downloads" here...)

I'll confirm later if everything is 100% ok.

S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

When you logged in and temporary profile assigned, can you please check whether following registry exists?

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-311748802-207040467-579632014-1994

Note that, S-1-5-21-311748802-207040467-579632014-1994 depends on user. Your log file shows that this is for user SLU.

Check if "ProfileImagePath" value exists. If it doesn't, there is "something" interferes profile creation in the local.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SLELEU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, and thanks for your quick answer.

Yes, the reg key exists when logued on temp profile.

ProfileImagePath is "C:\Users\TEMP"

I notice that C:\users\SLU is created with a few "non redirected user folders" :

• "Links"
  • "Saved games"
  • "Seaches"
  • "Downloads"

these folder are not redirected in the GPO (only "desktop, music, documents, images, ..")

May be that :

"because these folders are not redirected, then Windows profile service creates them.. and generates a conflict with Persona" ???

I'll try redirecting everything later.

S.

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'm experiencing a similar issue, but we're on 6.1.1 with Windows 7.

Can you elaborate on what that "something" could be that is interfering with profile creation on the local desktop?

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Usually, if there is a conflicting on managing offline files. Persona has its own mechanism and if windows Client Side Cache (CSC) is enabled, it may interfere Persona. That's why we recommend users to disable CSC. Another thing that may interfere Persona is third party software which are using filter driver. However, this needs to be investigated and if you need to solve immediately, I suggest you to open support tickket.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for the input.

I had them disable CSC and remove Shared Folders (from VMware tools) over the weekend, as I found they were both enabled.  I also have a ticket submitted with some logs uploaded, waiting to be reviewed.

0 Kudos
SLELEU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

From my side i tested :

- View agent 6.1 => same pb.

- redirect ALL folders to the same server (my docs, recents, ...) => same

- try the french folder naming instead of default ones ("Mes Documents" instead of "my documents").. same..

- no optimization (I use VSOT)

I noticed that even with all folders redirected, some folder are still created in C:\Users\<login> : the 4 ones I noticed a few days ago (searches, downlaods,..)

I'll take a look at CSC and VMware shared folders too.

S.

0 Kudos
SLELEU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CSC is disabled and VMware tools don't have shared folders option

BUT : Oohh I think that I've found my.... problem...

I checked the software installed in the golden image for "user profile related" software...

And I removed the "VMware Horizon View Client 3.5.1"

Now, it works !!!

You'll say "it's silly to install The VMware View client in a VMware View VM...." .. erhh... no... I may need this client to connect to our customer's View infra for testing purpose..

I'll make further testing and validation... but I think this is the problem in my case..;

S.

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for the follow up!

I don't think it's silly to have the View Client in the parent.

Does this error no longer appear in the logs? Failed Opening User Profile Key: User: SLU, 0x2

0 Kudos
SLELEU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A made a few test without the View Client but still experienced same problem..

I'm now loking at the "exclude this folders from roaming" gpo. (I had 1 excluded folder here.)

0 Kudos
SLELEU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok. I think it's OK now.

I removed the "Files and Folders excluded from roaming" GPO (I had "Downloads" here...)

I'll confirm later if everything is 100% ok.

S

0 Kudos