VMware Horizon Community
morantl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Persistent Instant Clone?

I currently have a working instant clone VDI setup for our training lab.  Everything was humming right along until I was tasked with virtualizing a certain application for our Public Safety training.  It required me to install the program directly onto the golden image but it also created a few other issues that I am seeking assistance with.  I'm looking for suggestions for the best approach to have a "persistent-ish" instant clone.  I have a program that has a license key that ties to the mac and the hostname so they always need to match in order for the program to work.  I can answer any questions you have or give more details if necessary.

Thank you in advance,

Tom

3 Replies
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

* First try to ThinApp the App and see if it works well with the instant clone option

EXAMPLE:

ThinApp doesn't change your application vendor's license policy – after all ThinApp merely captures the install you would have done if you didn't own some kind of application virtualization software. So if you want to run 20 copies of an application, and the vendor says you need a special unique TXT file for each application that runs, the same restriction would apply to a ThinApp.

* Second, contact the application vendor "The Best People to Ask for Help" to verify that the program license key or Installer package is supported

EXAMPLE:

VDI. Generally packaged applications that are virtualized will require a volume concurrent user licensing model that does not bind to a specific hardware or OS ID, user, or any variable that cannot be captured within the application package by the local administrator account. consult with the vendor to find the level of support they are willing to offer and what platforms they support their application being virtualized on.

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Stay Connected: Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
morantl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Raul,

Thank you for a quick reply.  I'll give ThinApp a go.  I was reluctant because of the licensing of this app.  I'm not 100% sure how it is done.  That might also become known after a call to the vendor as well.

I will post once I have tried a few things.

Thank you,

Tom

ErikTatum10
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Tom,

Dedicated instant clones in coming in a future release.  I think this might be what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Erik